Divers rescued from Gulf

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

40 minutes missing in a current is still way too long to search without calling CG. Especially since you don't know at that point whether they've been missing for 40min or 80min or longer.

Aside from the dive (fishing?) boat questions, Bravo Zulu once again to the Coast Guard!

(from a retired CG Reservist)

Well, it seems like they wouldn't have needed to take much time to search the boat, or do a roll-call of the other two divers...

1375435_orig.jpg

Well, it seems like they wouldn't have needed to take much time to search the boat, or do a roll-call of the other two divers...

1375435_orig.jpg

Do we know if the divers splashed with a couple Spare Airs? Maybe that was the confusion... :D

I watched the video. The RS drops in the water with fins on, looks like a seat drop on a trampoline. A+ #1, here's to you! Rescue Swimmer needs to be on a miller commercial. Can't tell how high the helo is, guess 15'.
Diver #2 doesn't have a wetsuit on. From this https://www.nodc.noaa.gov/dsdt/cwtg/wgof.html , water temp looks like 78-86 deg. Three hours with no exposure suit would be the end of me.

Rescue Swimmers are awesome, and have saved the lives of more than one of my divers. Here's to you, Mr. Rescue Swimmer.

I'm used to the NC charter approach where the DM does not supervise dives.

But they know who is in the water and when they are due back. They try to keep an eye out for where the divers are. Been on a NC boat with a "lost diver pair" The crew was looking for them before the smb popped up some distance away.

Agreed, but I am not *convinced* that this boat wasn't *trying* to keep an out for where the divers were, either. Nothing I've read has given me the impression the boat wasn't looking for the divers before 40 minutes, just that they didn't call in the CG. I don't know what happened and I'm not willing to assume the worst without more information. That's all.

But they know who is in the water and when they are due back. They try to keep an eye out for where the divers are. Been on a NC boat with a "lost diver pair" The crew was looking for them before the smb popped up some distance away.

I know that on the boat I crewed on we'd be checking the run time chart as people were due back and would have "noticed" someone missing the minute they were late. We would check to see if they were under the boat or on the up line. We would start asking other divers who exited the water recently if they saw the two missing divers during their dive, especially towards the end of their dives.

Is that recreational diving? You have your divers give you a run time before the dive and hold them to it? I've never seen that done. Individual run times can vary by 40 minutes easily depending on one's air consumption rate, activity, and depths. At our platforms we may have spearos drop to 80' and blow through a tank in 10 minutes fighting a fish or we may have photographers hovering at 30' and exceeding 60 minutes. Do you have run time limits?

I was out with Capt Beard this weekend (both days, I think this was Saturday) and we heard the CG side of comms but weren't getting anyone else. There was a stiff surface current down to 30' at our location but I don't think it was anywhere near 2 knots. You could swim against it for short periods, after all we managed to get a down line from the boat to the platform.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom