Divers rescued from Gulf

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Checks the following on every diver;
Inflator working, dry suit inflator working, Occy working, reg working, sling tank reg working, tank air pressure not dropping (indicating closed valve), Expected run time, expected depth, start pressure.

That is what I ask of divers and expect to be asked of me.

I understand why an operator might want to perform those checks, but I'm one of those divers who checks my own gear, and once it's checked no-one touches it but me unless I request it. I'm not interested in having anyone "adjust" my gear once it's in the state I want and expect it to be in. If they want to watch while *I* do those checks that's fine but they wouldn't be touching my valves or inflator. Any boat that was a requirement on wouldn't be getting my business.

-Adrian

I understand why an operator might want to perform those checks, but I'm one of those divers who checks my own gear, and once it's checked no-one touches it but me unless I request it. I'm not interested in having anyone "adjust" my gear once it's in the state I want and expect it to be in. If they want to watch while *I* do those checks that's fine but they wouldn't be touching my valves or inflator. Any boat that was a requirement on wouldn't be getting my business.

-Adrian

Sounds odd to me too but I've done about 1% of my dives from a commercial boat.

As I recall "don't touch my stuff"/"look if you must but do NOT touch" has been a commonly voiced sentiment on SB.

I've never had any dive crew check my gear themselves, they would all ask if everything is ok though. Diving with Ocean Frontiers in Grand Cayman they did take a note of your bottom times and max depth after every dive and BEFORE you splash they would ask you if you're going off on your own and what you're going to be doing. If you are being guided they will set a run time for the guided portion of the boat and when the group gets back to the boat you could go out on your own.

Being on that same charter also reminded me why it's important to carry a SMB on every boat dive... doing a safety stop most of my group were at the back of the boat on the drop lines, we were closer to the front of the boat/mooring line as we don't need the 15' reference and don't like to crowd other divers who are not able to stay still. There was surface current and when i looked back i saw people getting blown off the drop lines and the dm signaling them to swim back. There was a loud noise and i saw that the mooring line was not stiff anymore... turns out it broke but we didn't know that then, off went the boat. My wife and I watched each other with puzzled looks on our face like.. where's the boat. As i was about to shoot my bag there comes the other group when the DM realises there is no boat, so he shot his bag and I drifted with them until they finished their safety stop and surfaced with them. In hindsight i should've shot my bag still as it turns out the crew and other divers from my group were looking for us, but just goes to show why SMB's are important. The boat was at least 400m away from us when we surfaced and there were some large swells.

-Adrian

That's exactly what happens, the diver demonstrates all the gear works and shows the gauge while breathing regs. The DM witnesses it but does not touch.

(For me personally I would never touch anyone's gear unless I asked and was given permission first. That has always been the protocol with every boat I have dives except in Queensland on the Barrier reef cattle boats, they grab your air valve and I dislike that approach. I don't mind proving that I have air on, or if I want my valves checked I will ask, and then prove it to myself. )

Prior to the above checks being made once geared up, each dive group has been asked by the DM, what their dive plan is, along with gas being used etc, and this is all recorded on a sheet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom