Divers vs Underwater Tourists

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I only log on here occassionally. I have less than 1000 posts, mostly at night when I'm not at work. I think I might be a forum tourist! :depressed:

If you are a new diver and only dive in tropical locales on vacation you are an underwater tourist not a diver and you should hire a DM to be your buddy (and only your buddy) on every dive.

your implicit criteria is that "divers" are those divers who dive often and are comfortable in their diving environment to the point that they can safely take responsibility for their own dives and do not need an instructor or DM holding their hands.

on the other hand, if you do not dive often and are not able to safely take responsibility for your own dive, then you are not a diver but a "tourist"

a further implicit criteria is that "tourists" need to recognize what they are and not delude themselves into thinking they are "divers."

perhaps you could list a series of skills/abilities that "divers" should have before they consider themselves "divers?"

Labeling people tends to cause frustration and anger; if we want a real debate about the responsibilities of a diver vs the responsibilities of a dive operator and the DM's then let's have it and hash out the differences of opinion.

WE don't dive often, but take responsibility for ourselves - so where the heck do we fit?

We specifically seek out spots where we can shore dive as a buddy team on our own schedule, no DM's, DG's, OWSI's, etc. needed - just a tank filler / gas blender. We might throw a few boat dives in the mix along the way.

One thing we really liked about our ANDI training was the emphasis on self-reliance and self-rescue.

Labeling people tends to cause frustration and anger; if we want a real debate about the responsibilities of a diver vs the responsibilities of a dive operator and the DM's then let's have it and hash out the differences of opinion.

That was my prime motivator however I've seen from another thread that it's not particularly constructive either. You can't control the DM and dive operator and whatever duties you may wish them to fulfill isn't going to make it so.

If you need a certain level of care just realize that you aren't comfortable diving without someone to watch over you and then hire someone for that purpose. There's very little to discuss in that case.

If you can take care of yourself you don't really care what the DM is doing or not doing because you don't need them in the first place.

Then you must be an underwater tourist.:D

Yes, I live in the tropics, was certified 1986, do 100+ dives per year.......
If I'm a tourist, then so be it.

your implicit criteria is that "divers" are those divers who dive often and are comfortable in their diving environment to the point that they can safely take responsibility for their own dives and do not need an instructor or DM holding their hands.

on the other hand, if you do not dive often and are not able to safely take responsibility for your own dive, then you are not a diver but a "tourist"

a further implicit criteria is that "tourists" need to recognize what they are and not delude themselves into thinking they are "divers."

perhaps you could list a series of skills/abilities that "divers" should have before they consider themselves "divers?"

You've actually got most if not all of my point in posting. If you can take care of yourself you are a diver. If you cannot you are something other than a diver...a diver that can't take care of them self isn't a diver.

A driver that can't drive by them self isn't a driver. You don't walk into a car rental agency and show a drivers license and ask to rent a car but because you are rather new ask if someone can go along with you as you drive your rental car. I wouldn't call that person a driver, would you?

I'm a new "diver". I have only 22 logged dives + countless hours in the pool with and without scuba gear.
I live far from any diving place and usually dive on vacation in warm waters.
After being certified I did several dives with an instructor to certify night, dry suit and onboard. Next dives will be to certify deep and navigation. Will turn to "advanced" diver soon (sorry, this is the Touristic clasification that SSI has.....).
I also did several dives with buddies with less experience than me without a DM. I had to guide the dive.
Following your thought, I should be consider an Underwater tourist.
The question would be if, to your experience, there is a magical moment when I could certify being a diver and no more an Underwater tourist.
Maybe there are several intermediate status and/or certifications.
Perhaps "Underwater tourist basic", "Underwater tourist medium", "UWT advanced", "new diver junior", "almost diver", "still not diver" and finally, "DIVER", no matter how many logged dives you have in your log book.
Who would be the jury that defines you are a "DIVER" ?:rofl3:

I do not like the terms of this thread. Who gave you the right to qualify the rest of the world ?

A driver that can't drive by them self isn't a driver. You don't walk into a car rental agency and show a drivers license and ask to rent a car but because you are rather new ask if someone can go along with you as you drive your rental car. I wouldn't call that person a driver, would you?

i agree

but i am not sure that how often you dive per year or where you dive really determines whether you are a diver or not

if you're diving more but just repeating bad habits, are you really a diver? and what if you dive less but have awesome skills?

i'm just trying to figure out what skills or abilities you would consider to make the difference ...

or in other words, what tangible criteria can you apply to determine whether you are a diver or not quite one yet?

Sorry gcbryan---disagree 100 %---esp this statement(in fact I quit reading your post @ the end of this quote)....."If you are a new diver and only dive in tropical locales on vacation you are an underwater tourist not a diver and you should hire a DM to be your buddy (and only your buddy) on every dive."....Man, you got old way too soon.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom