Dives and dive time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

snturner

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I want to pose a question and then tell you what happened to me and my dive buddy this past week.

I will give you my dive profile for two dives and you tell me what you think?

First dive: max depth 92 feet
Average depth: 54.32
Elapsed Dive time: 45 mins
Safety stop at 15 feet: 3 mins

32 min surface interval

Second dive: max depth 72 feet
Average depth: 47.75
Safety stop at 15 feet: 2 mins

It is pretty hard to make any meaningful comments with the information given. Where you diving air or nitrox and if so what percentage of O2, or where you using a different breathing gas? I am assuming you were using a computer as you would have been seriously past the ND limits as set by the PADI RDP. It would also be helpful to know the dive conditions, eg. current, temp., viz, fresh water or sea water?
I see that you cut the Safety stop short on the last dive. Any reason for this? More questions than comments. Sorry.

I think peanut butter is better than nutella...

I can tell you your SI is too short for the second dive, but you probably already know that. I've been working with the DCIEM tables lately so I'll crunch it for you from that perspective:

Dive 1 depth averaging round up to 60' for 50min. puts you at an F pressure group
F PG with a SI of 0:30-0:59min. puts you at a repetitive factor of 1.7
A second dive to 50' (rounded up) with a RF of 1.7 allows for 36min bottom time.

You overextended your BT, cut short the SS and this is all based on depth averaging which is not how the tables are designed to be used.

You're typing so it couldn't have been that bad.

I'm with DaleC. I would have extended the SI to at least an hour. My second dive would have been shallower as well, I'd have aimed for an avg depth closer to 30 feet.

So, how did you do your dive planing for these dives? Were you diving tables, computer, WAG?

Did you end up with DCS symptoms?

Those figures dont give important information. No mention of ascent rates or actual profile (it could be square, maybe massive sawtooth, a rapid ascent or a rapid segment). Also doesn't specify the gases used.

Depth/Time tells us nothing on its own.

Sounds like you were riding the edge of a computer i.e. down to single digit NDL and I suspect one of you got burned.

You do know that decompression tables are not black and white - the limits are just where the risk of DCS become significant. You can, and some do get DCS well within the limits of both tables and computers.

Personally if I run close to NDL I extend safety stops and do much slower ascents for the top 30 feet or so and also extend SI. YMMV

Personally, I always do an hour SI to help off gas. I know if you use Nitrox you can do shorter SI's, but I like to play it safe. I'm not willing to push it and risk getting DCS.

You've posed an obscure request, that will lead to more questions than answers. There's far too little info from which to make any sort of diagnosis.

The only thing 'wrong' that I can see for sure is the minimal surface interval and the abreviated safety stop.

Maybe you and your buddy ended the second dive and made a decision to get more training?

I want to pose a question and then tell you what happened to me and my dive buddy this past week.

I will give you my dive profile for two dives and you tell me what you think?

First dive: max depth 92 feet
Average depth: 54.32
Safety stop at 15 feet: 3 mins

32 min surface interval

Second dive: max depth 72 feet
Average depth: 47.75
Safety stop at 15 feet: 2 mins

Like others have said: What do you wanna know?? We need more information and a direction in which to think. Then we can properly lambaste you :wink:

Peace,
Greg

You are all on the right track. The main point is the surface interval was not long enough and the safety stop on the second dive was not long enough.

I gave the basic information because that is all that is needed to know the above information. Dive conditions such as temp, current, fresh water or slat water. If you where taking an basic/advanced scuba class you would get very simular question with the same kind of information. You would then be asked what the diver should have done differently. The answer should be, longer surface interval, shallower second dive and a longer safety stop on the second dive. You don't need any more information to know that. If the diver was using nitrox or a mixed gas, that would change the whole situation. Nitrox and mixed gas are not taught in basic/advanced open water scuba classes. Compressed air was used.

I just got back from Aruba. These two dives where planned by the dive boat. On the first dive we ( the group ) started to surface. No one that I could tell was or had done a safety stop. The dive leader gave everyone the thumbs up to surface and then surfaced. I noticed 3 other divers go to the current line, my dive buddy and I followed. As other dives slowly went up the line, my buddy signaled me that his computer was telling him to do a safety stop. His computer was set for a safety stop at 20 feet, mine was set to 15. I stopped at 20 feet, We compared computers and hung out for about 3 mins. We surfaced and where the last ones on the boat. No big deal. While doing our surface interval, we were given a briefing on the second dive. It was planed for 45 to 60 feet. Important note, the second dive was only supposed to be to a max of 60 feet. I went 12 feet past the plan. I knew I did this and planned to lengthen my safety stop. Not a problem, or so I thought. I stayed with my dive buddy and the group the whole dive. There were two times when the dive leader had disappeared. I could see everyone except the dive leader. I noticed most divers looking around like they where lost. Both times I was able to swim in the same direction we had been going and find the dive leader. Both time he was just swimming along just assuming everyone was behind him. Visibility was about 35 feet.

When the dive was over I was surprised to see that the dive leader was giving everyone the thumbs up and wanted everyone out of the water. I thought to myself, what about our safety stop. I checked my computer, which was telling me a max depth of 72 feet. My nitrogen gauge was one bubble from decompression. Clearly I needed a safety stop. I signaled my dive buddy. His computer was beeping and telling him the same thing. He had stayed about 5 to 10 feet above me the whole dive. He gave me the level of signal and pointed to 5 mins on his computer. I gave him the OK signal. Within just a matter of seconds I could hear the dive leader blowing his little noise maker and wave both hands at us. I pointed to my computer and gave him the level off signal. He angerly gave me two thumbs up. I repeated my signals. Which just made him more anger. I looked at my buddy, who gave me a I am confused signal. I gave him the thumbs up and he returned with OK. When we got to the surface, the dive leader started yelling at me about how I better get out of the water when he tells me too. I told him I needed a safety stop and so did my buddy. My buddy then pulled his computer out of the water and said " see look, can't you hear it beeping". The dive leaders response was I don't need a safety stop, why do you think you do. It is important to note that before this dive, during the briefing, he told everyone, "when I give you the signal to get out of the water you need to do it then, don't be pretending to look at your computer and ignore me." I couldn't believe he said that but didn't care. This went on for about 3 mins on the surface. He started cussing at me and telling me I didn't know what I was talking about. I called the dive shop when I got back and told them that I would not be back the following day. I talked to the owner who said my dive profile is my responsibility, but for some reason he didn't believe me that I was told that I didn't need a safety. He didn't think his dive boat employees wold say anything like that. So he says he will talk to them and get back with me. I get a message later that night , that says, " I am returning the call like I said I would, I want to know when I can come by and drop of your t-shirt and membership card. Please call me back." LOL

Here is an interesting note. My dive buddy was a guy I was paired up with when I got to the boat. He was a nice guy, but lack some knowledge about diving. When my dive buddy and I got back on the boat after the second dive, he came over to me and asked, " So what will happen if we get the decompression sickness? Will we just get a bad headache? I rented my computer so I am not sure if it is working right. It says error now." I told him mine is working and we should have made a safety stop. I was dumbfounded on anything else to say.

I know a lot of you are going to telling me how bad I was for going 12 feet deeper than the dive plan. But do this, look at the PADI dive tables. If I would have stayed at 60 feet instead of 72, I would still need a safety stop. It really doesn't matter how deep or how long I was down. Every dive should be ended with a safety stop at the very least.

There are several other interesting things that were done and said on this boat. Here's a good one. " I have been to 380 feet with compressed gas. I don't need that mixed gas stuff." " I have been diving since I was six years old". These are comments made by one of the dive leaders

I didn't know anyone could get certified at 6 years old.

Let the floggings begin. I'm still alive and have the use of all my limbs so I guess I am good.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom