Dives and dive time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think you are missing Stings main message here, We are not getting all the facts. You should not have gone into DECO with the info given, yet you did (buzzing computer(s)). You should have done your stops no matter what the DM was telling you. Your safety is your responsibility. I would like to hear the DM's side (not possible)

Where does 'beginner' end?

200+ dives and Rescue certification does not equal 'beginner' in my book. Which is what the OP lists.

Just curious :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't really know. It depends on the circumstance and diving environment. Somebody who is used to diving in one location and goes to another location that is more challenging he will be a beginner. Even if he is not a "beginner," that doesn't justify the hostility and judgmental attitude. If you see somebody does something wrong, either try to show him/her the better/correct way professional and diplomatically without insulting them or don't say anything especially when this person never attacked you.

BTW, are we done dissecting every word and every letter yet?

Last edited:
When a professional services one customer (no innuendo intended) at the expense of others, is that "customer service" oriented?

In a diverse group like you find on vacation charters, it's rarely often to please everyone equally, and catering to one may be at the expense of another (for example returning to pick up a group of divers late because one diver stayed in the water too long).

A diver should be allowed to make whatever decompression stops are reasonably required, but if I need an extended hang on what's briefed and planned as a no-stop profile, I've made a mistake and shouldn't feel hurt when I'm called on it.

That takes some individual responsibility. If I've been diving 4 dives a day for 10 days, I'm going to hit NDL sooner than the guy on the first dive of his trip. Therefore I, as a responsible and considerate diver, should either cut my dive short or okay a decompression schedule with the dive op ahead of time.

All that said, 3 minutes is NBD. I have been on boats where a diver cleared his liquivision set to max conservatism and then arbitrarily added ~2 hours to deco on what I would call a 45 minute profile. That is BD.

Blackwood,

I'd agree 100% if the deco stop was long but here we are talking about 3 minutes (give or take). It certainly wasn't worth the aggravation for all sides.

BTW, in all of my management training, it was always emphasized that when you give praise to a person, you try to do it in public as much as possible. When you criticize somebody, you do it in private. You also criticize the behavior NOT the person (or at least not as much).

Like I said, 3 minutes is not a big deal for the other customers; you'd probably find that gap between two of my watches.

It's still indicative of a problem that the OP should be aware of. I agree that there was no cause to berate and cuss at him. That was uncalled for.

We only have one side of this story. There ARE learning points here, having to do with the optional nature of safety stops, and the errors of going into mandatory deco, and the desirability of following the advised profile, as well as some ideas for professional behavior on the part of DMs. But to achieve a "bottom line" and assign culpability in this case is something we can't do.

:police:

Thread closed pending Moderator action due to personal attacks.

This is a friendly forum based on mutual respect.

For those who have expressed strong opinions regarding the OP in this thread:
please re-aquaint yourself with the
Special Forum Rules.

Name calling is still prohibited here and those who are accustomed to saying 'you're a moron' in other internet forums are cautioned that such statements will earn a quick vacation from this one.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

A number of posts have been removed and other posts have been edited to delete references to those posts that were removed. While healthy debate and differences of opinion enrich the discussion, flaming is unacceptable. Debate the ideas, but do not attack those who don't share your views.

Thread reopened.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom