Dives I've done

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I saw that method of calculating multi-level dives as a sanity check kind of thing, not really as a dive planning tool and since I don't have a wheel handy I thought I'd try it and see what happened since my gut told me it would be a safe profile and the table confirmed it and obviously your computer didn't have a problem.

Interesting to look at!

R

Based on the PADI wheel and the following dive profile:
85ft - 5 min
45ft - 15 min
You left the water on the first dive as a PG-G diver.

The 2 hr surface interval got you to PG-A.

The second dive:
65ft - 10 min
35ft - 25 min
had you leaving the water as a PG-L diver.

Based on the wheel you had an NDL of 35 min at 65ft when you started your second dive.

when ever i dive i usually make it a 3 dive day so i work most of my dive profiles out befor i gear up ...its just habbit....usually someone will come up to me and say "my computer is broken" so i give them my wrist M1 and i go by analog ...gasp...somone who is only 21 and uses analog lol

ive only been over my deco limit once and that was just flat out poor judgement (long story)
thats when ii thanked my arse that i had a comp on me it told me when to do safety stops at what levels ...other wise i wouldnt of known what safety stops to do .......it was a bit of an emergency i was 8mins over deco time
it was iether that or someone might of been really hurt
( i still got blasted and praised at the same time by instructors)

Assuming planning the dives with our computers was wrong, what was the right way to do the second (or even the first) dive?

I find this no computers for no-deco diving quite interesting. I to have never seen, heard or read a convincing argument for it.

IMO, the real reasons for not using a computer are (in order):

a) for deco diving, because it encourages people not to plan gas consumption.

b) The algorhythms are not really right for doing deco dives with

c) most do not allow for multiple gasses (that is changing though), which is really a deco thing.

With PADI (and I would assume similar for most agencies) you are taught to turn the dive on the first of these events:

a) you have 100bar (or some other reserve) of gas

b) come close to your NDLs.

You do not have to account for the gas needed for deco as you do not have a deco obligation so the minimal gas planning works fine.

The only time it does not work (baring equipment failure) is when someone doesn't check gauges, overstays NDL etc. Not having a computer does not help in any way in this circumstance.

Nobody will every stop me using a computer on no-deco dives. Yes, I do dive with out one on non-deco dives on occasion and am by no means scared of doing it or could not cope etc.

SimonN once bubbled...
You do not have to account for the gas needed for deco as you do not have a deco obligation so the minimal gas planning works fine.

The only time it does not work (baring equipment failure) is when someone doesn't check gauges, overstays NDL etc.
This is typical of most recreational divers if you replace minimal with no.

And I wonder how many folks don't regularly check their gauges?

From my perspective the most important thing to plan as well as periodically check and assess is the gas supply.

As for the initial question in Jonnythan's post... looks good to me... except I would be using EAN32 and spending some time putzing around from 35 on up to the surface.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom