Dives you would like to do, but know better...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cthippo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I suspect most of us have them, those dives we would really like to do some day, but also recognize that they will probably forever be beyond our (or anyone's) skill level and risk tolerance.

Here are some of mine...

Big Bend Powerhouse, Las Plumas CA,

The big bend Powerhouse was built on the shores of the Feather River in Eastern California and was fed from water piped 10 miles through a tunnel. When the Oroville Dam was built in the 1950s the powerhouse and the town of Las Plumas across the river were both flooded. At maximum pool level the base of the powerhouse is almost 400 feet deep, but at low water the roof should be about 60 feet down.

Georgia Nuclear Aircraft Labratory

The Georgia Nuclear Aircraft labratory was built in the 1950s to do the basic research into nuclear aircraft engines for the Air Force. Part of the research involved irradiating material samples with their unshielded (!) reactor and then testing the physical properties of those not intensely radioactive materials in a series of four hot cells. Once the laboratory shut down in the 1960s the site was given to the City of Atlanta for a new airport, but turned out to be too hilly. It is now preserved as a park with the entrances to the underground buildings filled in to keep the curious away. But people find a way. It is said that the building they are exploring goes down 7 more levels and may be the former reactor building.

The Wreck of the MS Servant

This is a local one for me and one I have been interested in the longest. The Servant was an ocean-going tugboat of about 150 feet in length that was abandoned on the Everett waterfront sometime before 2003. In the fall of 2007 she broke loose from her mooring, drifted into Steamboat slough and rolled over on her beam ends. The wreck then proceeded to sink into the mud at a 135 degree angle, with only the turn of her bilge exposed above the water on an extreme low tide. This looks like it shoul;d be an easy dive, but heavy currents and zero visibility, coupled with questions about the stability of the wreck probably rule it out.

1666411049647.png

So what are your "I wish I could" dives?

I wish I could teach tech and cave diving with the same aggressive dive schedule I did before getting bent. I enjoyed being able to do three decompression dives a day without a worry in the world.

But, fortunately for me, I saved my bucket list dives for last and they are all shallow:

1) Cage diving with great whites in South Africa.
2) Treasure hunting for Spanish gold.
3) Spearfishing in Australia while freediving.

They are also not as specific as the details of the sites the OP provided.

The dive I wish I could do that is entirely impossible is to go back in time to the night dive I made with a dive instructor named Cheryl in St. Lucia and forget that I had a girlfriend this time when she walked me to my door afterward. I sometimes think that was the moment I lost the wife and family I may have had if I had chosen the other fork in the road.

In 1991 on Saint Nicholas day a ro-ro ferry called Sol Phyrne passed by my island. It was carrying military equipment, a whole hospital stolen from Pula and Yugoslav army officers family members that they were evacuating to Montenegro.
We have a ritual where we burn a boat on Saint Nicholas day for good fortune to the rest of the fisherman, and as they started the pyre underneath the Saint Nick church smoke started billowing from the horizon.
Sol Phryne caught fire not 6 miles from my island, the people from it got evacuated and taken to Komiža even though we were at war with them and the ship was lost. Absolutely no traces could be found for 20 years and if there were not 3000 witnesses I would not have even believed that the ship sunk.
But I found it, it's siting at 160m in international waters and one day, sooner or later I'm going to dive it, penetrate it and take a cup from the onboard coffee shop.
Just not anytime soon.

I dream to dive on two wrecks, both of them off the Greek island of Kea:

1) The PSS Patris Shipwreck of wheel steamship Patris.(Kea). - Grafasdiving | Shipwrecks Discovery , PSS PATRIS [+1868] - Top2Bottom , sunk in 1868.It is the only paddle steamer wreck in East Mediterranean, AFAIK. It has broken in two pieces. Its impressive right paddle wheel (see photo below) sits at a depth of 39 meters, at the very limits of recreational diving. Because I am an inexperienced diver with just 30 dives under my belt and an awful SAC (between 20 and 25 l/min, depending on the dive and day), I keep telling to myself to be patient, log some dives and improve my skills and my air consumption before attempting a dive there.
2) The iconic HMHS Brittanic, sunk in 1916, at a depth of 122 m (400 ft). HMHS Britannic - Wikipedia. Unfortunately, this last one will remain for ever a dream, as I am not and probably will never get certified as a hypoxic trimix CCR diver. Perhaps in my next life...
After all, as a Greek sailor and poet, Nikos Kavvadias, wrote a century ago, expressing the spirit of every unsatiated and unsatisfied traveler:

"I will forever be an ideal and unworthy lover of faraway voyages and blue oceans,
and I will die a common night just like all the other nights,
without having sheared the blurred line of horizon.
To Madras, Singapore, Algiers and Sfax ships will proudly depart as always,
and I, hunched over a desk with nautical charts, will count sums on thick ledgers."

Attachments

• κατάλογος.jpg
    κατάλογος.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 54
Cave diving sounds and looks incredible, but I'm probably at least several years away from having the training.

Otherwise, I just wish I had the budget to do a bunch of tropical diving.

I'm completely happy diving at home literally but what about this one

fsb1i58e8p061.png

I'm pretty sure there are two vertical wrecks, the other being an imperial Russian battleship. IIRC Clive Cussler's crew dove it for an episode of Sea Hunters...

Got it. The Russalka, sunk vertically in the Gulf of Finland in 1893. Explored by the Sea Hunters in Episode 5 of Season 5.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom