United States "drowned towns"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wonder what the burro's are drinking these days :)

Corona? :idk:

images

In Texas, the town of Pickwick was inundated when the Brazos River was dammed to form Lake Possum Kingdom (no, I'm not making up that name), about 70 miles west of Fort Worth.

Vis is measured in inches at that part of the lake because it's near the upper end (where the river dumps its silt load), so I don't suggest diving it.

Does anyone else know if the other places on the list in TX are worth diving or safe to dive?

South Carolina under Lake Jocassee: Jocassee Valley. The graveyard is still there and divable, as is a few old structures like the school house, the old entrance to the girl's camp, a small suspension bridge and the Attakulla Lodge. The last three mentioned are in 300'+ while the graveyard is only in ~140' and the school house foundation and a few odds and ins are at ~250'.

Lake Keowee has the old water pumphouse, a two story structure in rec depth. Very silty, but a neat piece of history and unusual site.

There is also the town of Gad, WV, at the bottom of Summersville Lake.

ArrrHHHHHHHHHHHaa!!! So you are the guy that tells of the "sunkin City's" and how they are all intact. And if you see them you will find that the folk just got up and went! :confused:

But on a serious side. As a Southern Diver I get all the time from topsider's
{ And if you like this word it will cost $29,9 95.00 to use. Please see a dealer near you! } on what do the old town's look like and "I here that its all still their".

but these urban legends are mostly not true. I see a lot of foundations and sisterns and so on.

I would like to visit lake Jocassee and see the old graveyard and Inn and few other site's!

ArrrHHHHHHHHHHHaa!!! So you are the guy that tells of the "sunkin City's" and how they are all intact. And if you see them you will find that the folk just got up and went! :confused:

But on a serious side. As a Southern Diver I get all the time from topsider's
{ And if you like this word it will cost $29,9 95.00 to use. Please see a dealer near you! } on what do the old town's look like and "I here that its all still their".

but these urban legends are mostly not true. I see a lot of foundations and sisterns and so on.

I would like to visit lake Jocassee and see the old graveyard and Inn and few other site's!

Haha yes I realize that most of these are just foundations now, but that is still more fun to look at than the mud bottoms I am used to here :wink: I am interested to see how intact some brick structures that have been submerged for about 35 years will be.. Still planning to dive Clark Canyon in the fall, I am hoping that the schoolhouse may still be standing.

Here's some pictures to motivate ya'll to visit....we like visitors:D
L-R
A grave marker from the old Mt. Carmel Baptist Church AKA Jocassee Graveyard, can also be seen during the last scenes of the movie Deliverance. At full pond, around 146ffw, is cold and dark. Sorry for the crap picture, but that's the conditions.

Picture of Water Pump House as Keowee was being built circa 1969

Picture of Pump House window during a dive I did in 2009. Depth around 50ffw, very, very silty.

The other sites your talking about in Jocassee are all past 250ffw. A few very experienced Tech. divers have done the dive to the Lodge and girls school.

In Nevada there's a soda factory located by the old coast of Soda Lake. When they flooded the Newland's reclamation project in the 40's, the water level in the area came up overnight. The old soda factory is now at about 40 feet. The thermocline is at about 32.

Pictures at sodalake

The problem is the soda is very alkalai. You need to bring water to wash your gear right after you get out of the lake.

Back
Top Bottom