Diveyak report from Hibiscus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeJacobs

Reaction score
It's been a couple of weeks but the diveyak has finally been christened. Part of the problem was that the champagne bottle kept bouncing off the bow, but we drank the champagne and figured that was good enough.

I took turns heading out with Marvel, a neighbor and solo until finally getting the nerve up to load tanks and steam for the bouys when this afternoon's weather turned perfect.

I'll tell ya... the diveyak handles in the water like a real yak would. It's a log, and doesn't handle quite as well as a big white water canoe. BUT it will get you there, and the upper body workout is a LOT more fun than anything you'd do in a gym.

It took about 15-20 minutes to get to the second reef - not the second tier of the first reef, but the real second reef where dive boats tie up to the bouys. We've done it from the shore a few times and even ran out of air once.. quite a kick.

Ca-ching... I'm counting this as a $45 dive (two people, one tank each) toward a return on my investment... only 19 more to go! Much better than kicking all the way there and back.

We hitched to the bouy to gear up in the water, and tho nothing we had discussed worked the way we'd planned, we didn't lose anything and eventually were set. We could see the reef from the surface, but with mask on it was a nice view of the plain and then crumbling outer edge... kinda like flying over the desert.

Little current, 25' visability, and a great dive partner. We agreed the diveyak is a stable and convenient platform, though I'm going to be careful for a while about conditions. We've talked about driving it down to the port and drift-diving all the way back... kinda like tubing the Hootch (OK, who knows what that's about)?

The big question: would I recommend the diveyak? Well, it will get you out there with all your gear and all the cold drinks you'd want as well, but you need some upper body strength. Inflation requires 10 minutes of pumping (I'm ordering a low-pressure line adapter), and it only weighs 50 lbs. It'll fit on your car's roof. Is the second reef worth it? I don't know yet... certainly what I saw today was nice in its own way but not as varied as the first reef can be.

But, hey, the real goal is the THIRD reef lol... and there are some great stretches of the second we haven't made it to yet except by boat. Soooo... I'm looking forward to doing my 20 dives to pay for the darn thing, and then buying a *real* kayak next time. In other words, it looks like a great starter for my situation and I'm going to be happy to wear it out.

Hey Mike
Glad to hear you finally got to use the diveyak. I just saw them recently in a dive shop, knew you got one and was wondering how good they really were.
Thanks for the report!

scuba_jenny once bubbled... Hey Mike Glad to hear you finally got to use the diveyak. I just saw them recently in a dive shop, knew you got one and was wondering how good they really were. Thanks for the report!
Thanks, Jenny, we were talking on the way out about how you wouldn't *need* a kayak because you'd do the out & back on a tank and still have enough left over for another hour+ on the first reef.

Seriously, I might recommend the newer model for women because it has a 3.5 hp motor mount. While the 50# diveyak might be tough to move around alone, with another woman you could do it easily.

Otherwise, you'd be limited to using it on only very calm days.

I'm eager to try the newer model, which I avoided because its a SINk (sit-in kayak). SINK paddlers have a wall to reach over to paddle, which means raising you arms - I've heard this is tiring.

Which brings me to one ore issue - paddle weight. I didn't skimp on the paddle cost, and bought the lightest ones I could find locally. They cost almost as much as the keyak. I did this on the advice of all my FTA buddies who kayak a lot, and am glad I did.

Last related report - I'm not sore at all! I feel it, but no stiffness in my arms or back. I don't do *any* strength training, so I'm thinking that most people would enjoy the same.

Mike - sounds neat. Let me know if you need a buddy sometime - I'd like to try it.

Marc

FLL Diver once bubbled... Mike - sounds neat. Let me know if you need a buddy sometime - I'd like to try it.Marc
lol you're in trouble now. I'm flying Sunday so I'll be diving only Saturday morning with Marvel (but will let you know if she can't make it - she's moving too). Pick a day, Saturday or Sunday NEXT week, and a morning or afternoon!

You need to share some of the champagne with King Neptune to properly name a boat. You did name the yak didn't you? :rolleyes:

The biger problem of a sit in kayak for divers is the added work of getting in and out of the boat. Paddling is not a problem.

Paddles, lighter is better and getting the right length and blade size for your build and condition is also important. A paddle that is too long or has oversized blades will tire you quickly.
I make my own paddles. Usually I also make my own kayaks too.
I haven't made one for diving but it might be a fun diversion. :)

Enjoy your boat!

goooooooooo Mike! sorry for the delay in replies here, my time in front of PC has been very limited. Maybe next time I'm in 'Lauderdale we can see it in action :wink:

pipedope once bubbled... You SNIP... You did name the yak didn't you? :rolleyes: ...SNIP...I make my own paddles. Usually I also make my own kayaks too.
I haven't made one for diving but it might be a fun diversion. :)
Great - a local expert! No name yet... "log" comes to mind lol. Do I need more champaigne to make it a 'legal' naming?

Question for you - I attach the paddles at the same angle (flat) rather than offset. When would you offset the paddles so they're at different angles?

Let us know if you decide to design your own dive kayak!

Having the paddles offset is called feathered and is designed to have the upper blade slice through the air. It is used with paddling styles that emulate racing styles.
The problem with the feathered paddle style is that you have to keep bending one wrist with each stroke to set the angle that the blade hits the water.

Unfeathered paddles work better with a style where the paddle stays low and the power comes mostly from torso rotation. The Eskimo used unfeathered paddles.

I have, and have made both and now I like unfeathered better.

These things are lots easier to show than explain. I will look and see if I can find good examples on the web.

Right now I am working on a sailing rig idea so a dive boat is a ways off.
What features would you want in a diveyak?

I always thought "Calypsito" (little Calypso) would be a good name for a diving 'yak.
:D

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom