Diveyak report from Hibiscus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am starting (just) to get my act together here so I can see that I will be able to go out and have some fun in the not too distant future.
I hope to investigate the laser eye surgery in the future but now I fight with glasses. I hope it goes well and she recovers quickly.

There are worse things in life than sitting in a small boat on the ocean with a good book. :D

I like the line from "Wind in the Willows";
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing as messing around in boats!" Or under them for that matter.

Last night the beach was the most wild I have seen so far (only been here a year tho)... the south current at the shore, exascerbated by wind and surge, was like a river. I could barely run fast enough to stay with it (of course, my running days are over lol). Beautiful!

No, we didn't go out... and we're getting pretty grumpy about how long it's been.

One more note, for those who think that living on the beach is all fun - our window sills, shower and cars are filled with micro-silt, kinda like talc but crunchier :(

Afternoon on American Dream and hit a wreck called the McAllister just off of Hollywood. the wreck sits about 75-80 feet and had about 80F Viz with no current.....

Seen lots of small silverfish, some Porkfish. Grey Angels and a Hog that was wondering about....

The waters were the best I seen in weeks untill Monday afternoon came about when it was very rough again where I was working In Boca all day......

:virus:

Dan, looks like I can't say 'no' to Venice Saturday... Marvel is out on a tournament so do you need a ride lol?
showboat once bubbled...
SNIP...The waters were the best I seen in weeks untill Monday afternoon came about when it was very rough again where I was working In Boca all day......

I'm giving up trying to discern what conditions will be like from the weather reports. Less than a knot south-current, 2-5 mpj breeze out of the southeast, and visibility on the edge of the first reef (at the balls) is at least 30-40 feet (I could see dark fish from the surface).

Who's up to give it a try tomorrow (Saturday 11/29)?

I haven't looked at the weather but this morning our coastline was like a lake again... looks like a GREAT setup for good diving Wednesday/Thursday.

Who's up for paddling out to the dropoff from Hibiscus with me?

MikeJacobs:
I haven't looked at the weather but this morning our coastline was like a lake again... looks like a GREAT setup for good diving Wednesday/Thursday.

Who's up for paddling out to the dropoff from Hibiscus with me?
As in a humpday dive? How early? I can be there round 8AM. I was thinking the same thing this morning... its a good day for diving!

Another flat morning, a little more chop but still insignificant. Water was 76f and there was no movement other than the usual fish, two eels and other critters.

To give you an idea of how calm it is, I found a fresh Spanish lobster molt yesterday afternoon and took the... c... the "head" (whatever the heck it's called) to dry & display. Awesome looking creatures, and very "shallow" body. Anyway, I had noplace to put it while removing & clipping my fins to myself on my way back up the beach, so placed it like a little boat in the water next to me. It didn't sink or drift away, even when I wound my flag and had to retrieve a dropped fin!

Sad news, while returning I found a dead turtle washed up on the shore. A neighbor says its the second he's seen in two weeks. Same damage - bottom left gone, shell crushed into pieces like road-kill armadillo. If it's a shark doing this, then why don't they eat the whole turtle? Lots of meat & appendages left. If its a boat, it would be highly coincidential to find two turtles with the exact same damage so close together in distance and time.

Dan & I are going to try for this afternoon. If it's slow around here I'll be able to make it out about noonish. The wind is still gentle but from the northeast now, so if it picks up at all this could be the last day of diving until the next calm spell. There appeared to be quite a south current, though the cans weren't particularly bent over... it'll be interesting to see up close what's going on down there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom