Diveyak report from Hibiscus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok i'm confused. lol

I read some places that the XK2020 is 2 person kayak and some site say its 1 person Kayak. Anyone know which is it?

I did a google search and all of them have only a picture of 1 back rest.

If anyone knows anything about this please let me know

Thanks

Junus

We also took it out a couple of times just to be sure we'd know what to do, and were very happy with how it handled. I even went solo once, first. The tanks strapped down in back (BCs inflated) and gear up front work best, but when solo a tank up front sideways on the seat gives you something to put your feet against - this is the only major problem - the foot-rest is difficult for adults without a work-around. I haven't found an acceptable work-around for the front seat's foot rests yet.

megnin:
I think I have the same one. It's the Sevylor ST-6696 two person.
We put it in the ocean with 3-4 foot waves and had a blast. We did that with no gear because we weren't sure how easy it would be to handle. It turned out to be easier to handle than I thought it would be. We went out and back in twice. Picked up snorkels and masks and went back out. Piece of cake. The waves just rolled under us.

Yesterday I put both sets of our scuba gear (tanks, BCs, regs) behind the rear seat leaving room for the fins and masks up front. My wife was at work so her seat empty. Everything fit just fine. I took it out on the lake with all the gear and it held it all very well.

Yep. I like it! :-D

Junbug1970:
SNIP...How tough are these material? I'm afraid it may puncture quite easily. I live in Chicago and do alot of shore diving. Is $400 reasonable? I also would like to know if getting back onto it is as easy as getting off?
Very tough but although you couldn't easily cut it with a sharp dive knife you COULD do it. It's like the durable Codura (sp?) they use for back packs... seems quite a bit thicker though. I don't like sharp objects on mine for obvious reasons, but I don't worry either. There are two tubes inside, though it obviously handles best with both fully inflated.

Yes, $400 is what I paid for my tandem.

Getting on is very easy, and nobody I've taken out has had trouble. You first remove your gear (even your wetsuit), strap everything but your tank/bc down well, and then kick up (with or without fins) while pulling. It's easier than a "real" kayak becuase it's much more stable and SOFTER lol.

I load the tanks onboard IN the water. That means I'm wearing my bc when I pull it in (always pull from the stern - it's easier). Depending on the surf you may have to hurry to get it on board and strapped in. LOAD it with your back to the surf and the bow to the shore. You do NOT want to spend any time in the surf zone, so don't dawdle even on a calm day. Just get the heck out past any surf as quickly as possible.

I put my gear on (including wetsuit) in the water at the site, but I'm a polar bear.

The hard work begins when you haul your tank up... think this through first so you know what you're going to do. It's best to keep the bc inflated (especially with steel tanks lol), and clip it to the back of the diveyak while you're getting on board. Then crawl back (it's stable), unclip it and muscle it up. If you are not strong this may be a problem at first but you'll find a way to get it a little way and then a little farther until it's up. This is not a problem if you have any upper body strength.

Coming in, concentrate on keeping the bow forward - you do not want to spill! If the surf is not bad, get off waste-deep and put your bc on, then hurry forward to pull the diveyak up to shore by the bow. If there is surf, the diveyak can goose you and knock you down, so don't dawdle. Get it as far as you can, letting the surf help you.

When you're as far as it's likely to pull, have somebody watch it while you head up to drop your tank (out of the sand of course). Then hurry back to relieve the watcher who ideally will carry a lot of gear up with them.

You have to raise the bow of the diveyak until it's verticle because it will have a ton of water inside the fabric... just slowly raise the bow and you will eventually get it upright and know it's "empty". AGain, dragging the 'Yak up the beach is best done from the stern.

Great.

Thank you for the helpful info.

Junus

MikeJacobs:
Very tough but although you couldn't easily cut it with a sharp dive knife you COULD do it. It's like the durable Codura (sp?) they use for back packs... seems quite a bit thicker though. I don't like sharp objects on mine for obvious reasons, but I don't worry either. There are two tubes inside, though it obviously handles best with both fully inflated.

Yes, $400 is what I paid for my tandem.

Getting on is very easy, and nobody I've taken out has had trouble. You first remove your gear (even your wetsuit), strap everything but your tank/bc down well, and then kick up (with or without fins) while pulling. It's easier than a "real" kayak becuase it's much more stable and SOFTER lol.

I load the tanks onboard IN the water. That means I'm wearing my bc when I pull it in (always pull from the stern - it's easier). Depending on the surf you may have to hurry to get it on board and strapped in. LOAD it with your back to the surf and the bow to the shore. You do NOT want to spend any time in the surf zone, so don't dawdle even on a calm day. Just get the heck out past any surf as quickly as possible.

I put my gear on (including wetsuit) in the water at the site, but I'm a polar bear.

The hard work begins when you haul your tank up... think this through first so you know what you're going to do. It's best to keep the bc inflated (especially with steel tanks lol), and clip it to the back of the diveyak while you're getting on board. Then crawl back (it's stable), unclip it and muscle it up. If you are not strong this may be a problem at first but you'll find a way to get it a little way and then a little farther until it's up. This is not a problem if you have any upper body strength.

Coming in, concentrate on keeping the bow forward - you do not want to spill! If the surf is not bad, get off waste-deep and put your bc on, then hurry forward to pull the diveyak up to shore by the bow. If there is surf, the diveyak can goose you and knock you down, so don't dawdle. Get it as far as you can, letting the surf help you.

When you're as far as it's likely to pull, have somebody watch it while you head up to drop your tank (out of the sand of course). Then hurry back to relieve the watcher who ideally will carry a lot of gear up with them.

You have to raise the bow of the diveyak until it's verticle because it will have a ton of water inside the fabric... just slowly raise the bow and you will eventually get it upright and know it's "empty". AGain, dragging the 'Yak up the beach is best done from the stern.

I'm prayin' that the current calm remains so just MAYBE it'll be clear diving this weekend. The water's still silted up, but the dark top layer has lightened and just MAYBE the larger floaters below will settle by then. Anybody organizing a trip should post... I'll be around for just about anything and am hoping to take the diveyak out too.

Hey Mike that is really good news! We are diving this weekend. Look in the Trips & Happenings, I talked to Simon about an evening/night dive on Thursday, and after the Chick Dive, I am sure we can be coerced into another dive!

MikeJacobs:
I'll be around for just about anything and am hoping to take the diveyak out too.

I'll call you. Budget presentations end tomorrow, and between that and that little spate of bad weather we had in September, I'm ready. I haven't been out since August 27.

Marc

I snorkeled this afternoon and into early evening and could actually see the bottom from the top once again. YESSSS. Downstairs it looks fine - none of the big floaters. Bring your cameras!

Congrats Marc, my own "train wreck" ends Friday at noon! It will be a WEEKEND like the old days! Woooo hooooo!
FLL Diver:
I'll call you. Budget presentations end tomorrow, and between that and that little spate of bad weather we had in September, I'm ready. I haven't been out since August 27.Marc

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom