Diving Advice for Iberostar Grand Honeymoon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaTerp

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello everyone!

My fiance just got her OW, and we're planning on getting some diving in during our honeymoon. We're planning on doing at least two days worth of diving (she wants to get some serious all-inclusive beach time as well), so I wanted to make them worth it. Our dive shop recommended Dive Paradise in Cozumel, but I'm worried about the time it would take to get there. How would I get from Iberostar to Cozumel? I understand you take a taxi to Playa del Carmen, and then a boat across to Coz? How long does that take, and how much?

Should I stick with diving in Coz, or would I get a similar experience with a shop from PDC?

We're going from July 19 to July 25th, so our diving window would be the 20th to the 24th. As I said she just finished her OW, and I just got my DM a few weeks ago. She keeps on teasing me about how her first dives will be better than any I've done so far, and with the exception of a Cavern class she's right!

EDIT: We could do Dressel Divers (the resort operation), but I was hoping to really take advantage of the local diving and work with a dive shop that was more interested in a good dive experience than getting divers in and out quickly. The impression I got from reading the comments here was that they were more of a cattle company and it might be worth the extra trip.

Last edited:
To dive over in Cozumel you would need to take the 8am ferry and that costs $11 one way. It takes about 30min to get over to Cozumel and depending on which shop you go with you would be back to the mainland around 3 or 4. The diving in Cozumel is amazing. They have great visibility and their coral formations are really nice. But here in Playa we have great diving as well. We have a ton of sea life and our coral and visibility is still nice. I would recommend you dive in Playa because their is a lot of advanced diving in Cozumel with deeper wall dives. So what you could do is dive with a shop here in Playa a couple times and then take a trip over to Cozumel and dive their reefs once your fiance is really comfortable diving in the Ocean.

Hope your search goes well, and I absolutely recommend that you dive Cozumel, but maybe after a couple dives here to get her feet wet. Happy diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom