Diving After ACL Reconstruction

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had ACL Micro Fracture surgery in Nov of 07. Snapped the ACL and further damaged the Menicuse while on a training excerise at Barksdale AFB. Had the surgery (hamstring) and started rehab within one week. Had to allow a little extra time due to the extent of the injury.

The machine the gave me to continually move and flex my leg hurt like a booger the first day but by the time I was able to start rehab about one week that thing was the only place I could get comfortable.

Follow rehab to a tee and you will fly through it.

Pain is a four letter word whcih lets you know you ain't dead yet.

Hi Everyone,

I thought I'd post this to get some feedback from the experience of others.

I am having ACL reconstruction on December 18th. I am newly certified (Oct5th) and only have a couple of dives under my belt. Needless to say, I'm hooked. After talking to my surgeon's PA today, he thinks it could be at least 6 months before I dive again.:depressed: The bad part about all of this is that I am going to be on Grand Turk in June, and was hoping to dive there. We're going there on a cruise.

For the medical info, I am having a double bundle hamstring graft done for the reconstruction.

I was able to complete certification on a bum knee. I tore the ACL in May.

Has anyone had this done before? Even the specific surgery? If you did, or you know of someone who did, how long were you out before you were back to diving again. I'd hate to miss diving in Turks.

Thanks

Joe

Happy New Year Everyone,

I wanted to follow up and let everyone know how things have gone so far. I have to admit that even though it is 10 degrees outside today, I really want to get back in the water!

I am exactly 2 weeks post-op. I was shocked at how minor the pain has been so far. Usually, if I am in pain, its my fault. I waited too long to take any medication. I weened myself off of Vicodin and onto Advil within about a week of surgery. I saw my doc 5 days after surgery. He was very very happy with the range of motion and healing process so far. I actually started some exercises when I got home from the surgical center that day. He took my immobilizer away and told me to ween myself off the crutches within a week or 2. He also backtracked a little and said that diving in June should be no problem, but we'll make that call when we get closer. I started formal therapy before my first doctor visit, and that has gone well too. My knee is perfectly straight (0 degrees extension) and I can flex to about 75 degrees. The goal is to get to 130 degrees, so there is a ways to go there. Then there is the strength issue to fix, but not until the graft is fully secured (8-12 weeks). I have started to drive again, so my wife is no longer "driving Ms Daisy". I anticipate being able to dive in June, maybe even a little sooner. I'd love to get 1-2 in before I go to Grand Turk. I must admit the Cryo Cuff was a slight disappointment. It never really got "cold". Maybe my knee was still numb, or there was too much dressing to chill through. I'll probably use it more once I get back to work, and it swells up with being on and off my feet alot.

As there is anything to report, I'll post it here, especially when it relates to diving. Next stop is getting the staples out on the 6th.

Thanks again for all the encouragement here. I really appreciate it all.

Joe

College wrestling tore me up, and I have been through surgery on one knee, one shoulder, and two hands. Like others have said, there is no magic time period...but I will stress this:

DO YOUR PHYSICAL THERAPY!!! No matter how much it sucks, do it every day. It will make all the difference in the world. Dont make excuses, just do the work. I promise you will be glad you did.

Back
Top Bottom