Diving an active rock quary

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonesbf

Contributor
Reaction score
Provided they allowed it would diving in an active granite quary be safe? It looks from the overhead photo that the water is quite clear, but would there be any dangerous chemicals or other gotchas to consider? Is there any likelihood that the mining company would allow it anyway?

jonesbf:
Provided they allowed it would diving in an active granite quary be safe? It looks from the overhead photo that the water is quite clear, but would there be any dangerous chemicals or other gotchas to consider?

Is there any likelihood that the mining company would allow it anyway?

Not any company worth being in business!!

Very doubtful. Most quarries won't let you in when they are closed.

Probably not if it's a active quary. When we were kids growing up, we would go swimming in a closed quary, and would get chased out sometimes by the law.

I doubt they will allow you onto site - but talk to them and they may surprise you.

How active is active? If the pit is flooded sounds like it is not active. There is still danger from rock falls from unstable benches and the water may be contaminated with oil, deisel and left over ANFO. If the rocks contain pyrite then the water could also be quite acidic. Ditto there may be unexploded detonators around - don’t go tugging on any wires that you see.

Cheers,
Rohan.

I have dove in some local, active gravel pits on Sundays. They stop operation on Friday. The water blue and look clear from shore but decend two feet and you have 0 to 1 ft vis. I would avoid active pits.
Tim

Back
Top Bottom