Diving as a self regulated industry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rmediver2002 once bubbled...
regulated to a much greater extent in England, how about some input on safety changes since government took control?

For or against?

Jeff

Jeff

Could you explain what you mean 'since government took control'. Either I have misunderstood you, or I have missed something here.

Adrian

The Scuba police would not surpise me.

Many years ago, I had to pay a fee at a riding stable to obtain a horseback riding license. It was good for a year. About 4 months later, I was "pulled over" by the forest preserve police, for running the horse in an unauthorized area. They took my license, made me dismount & walk the horse back to the stable. My friends & I waited until the 'cop' was gone, laughed our a$$e$ off & rode the horses back to the stables. The next week we bought another license.

So the Scuba police pull us over, check our c-card, make us take off our BCD & swim back to shore. Bad Scuba diver, bad, bad!
:D

anth once bubbled...
I'm currently working on an essay for for English class arguing that diving should remain a self-rergulated industry. Governments should keep their hands out of the sport as much as possible. Do any board members have any ideas of their own or links or resources?

Thanks in advance, DSAO,

Anthony

Hey Anth,

The feds don't have any type of liscensing for rec. or commercial diving..Thank God for that too.

For that matter they don't have to many guidelines for both industries. But all the federal guidelines for both commercial diving and recreational diving can be found at www.osha.gov
Once you get to that link you want to look up Code 1910.410 SubPart T. I have studied this extensively as we have a company that is getting more and more into commercial diving and I own a dive shop.

Hope this helps. Send me a private message if I can help you with anything else regarding this topic.

biscuit7 once bubbled...
Well, in general I think the diving community does a decent, but not spectacular job of regulating itself. There is one aspect that has always troubled me and that is of the instructor "passing" his/her own students.

Rachel

I totally agree that the diving community has done a nice job regulating itself. I mean statisically speaking it is safer than BOWLING for christ sake.

Could you explain what you mean 'since government took control'. Either I have misunderstood you, or I have missed something here.

Well I was refering to the on-site inspections being conducted but this applies only to working divers (instructors as well).

Our system does not conduct inspection of operations with less than ten employee's unless there is a casualty. Diving instruction for the most part is completely self regulated...

Jeff

rmediver2002 once bubbled...

Well I was refering to the on-site inspections being conducted but this applies only to working divers (instructors as well).

Ah right.

Yes it is very well regulated. If you earn money diving, then you are regulated under various HSE rules. This even applies to your average LDS. Just as well when it seems that flogging gear may seem to be more important than good training. While the regs on their own don't result in good training, maybe they have helped prevent a few incidents when followed.

But not always, enforcement usually only comes after bad news, such as this.

http://www.thisisgwent.co.uk/gwent/archive/2002/04/13/news1018689838ZM.html

Adrian

I would like to see the US adopt a similar program, if someone is providing a service involving diving then it should be regulated in my opinion...

Recreational diving, for your own enjoyment should be a personal freedom, just like skydiving or rock climbing...

Jeff Lane

anth once bubbled...

<snip>

Second of all, how far are we from having the oh-so-fear scuba police? I mean, could it happen?

You're all awesome, thanks so much!

Anthony

In my opinion the creation of a scuba police is highly unlikely.

Look at it this way: The "normal" police can already enforce wildlife laws, shipping/waterway usage & boating/transportation laws and wreck/salvage laws to name a few. As far as things--activities that divers can engage in--are described in law, the normal police already have jurisdiction. So what's left for a scuba police to do? There might be some need for a legal description of "safe" diving for use in liabiliy cases but policing that everyone adheres to the rules would be very expensive and probably (almost certainly) wouldn't significantly improve the safety record.

R..

R..

http://www.thisisgwent.co.uk/gwent/...18689838ZM.html

This is a good example, thankfully not the casualty but still the attitude in regards to safety and standards seems to exist wthin this industry...

By no means is it prevalent but still it should be stomped out if possible...

Jeff Lane

I take it from the general tone of the comments that commercial diving in the US is in no way regulated?

Does this mean that any LDS instructing any diver only does enough not to get sued out of business, rather than having a legally enforced code?

Please correct me if I am wrong.

In the UK shops may teach SSI, PADI, BSAC whatever etc, but must do so under a wider scope of commercial diving regs. Boats operated by such shop have their own set of regs, irrespective of wheather divers are carried or not.

Adrian

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom