Diving Budy a Rule or Law

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doppler once bubbled...
Using metric measurements, simplifies the math, makes sense and conforms to Canada's stated standard of measurement;however, I have yet to find a scuba store in Ontario, BC, Quebec, Nova Scotia, or New Brunswich -- the only provinces in which I've dove -- that can deliver my fills to me in bar... seems most Canadians think that BAR stands for British American Racing... an organization that fields a pretty poor Formula One Team.
Once you find one that uses bars, then try to find one that uses the metric measure, Pascals.

You'd truly get some strange looks asking for a 20 megaPascal fill. =-)

Metric use in Canada

A moratorium on the enforcement of the weights and measures act was declared in 1983 by the then Minister of Consumer and Corporate Affairs. Since then, the policy has been to let the marketplace set the pace of conversion rather than force its use by regulation.

In March 1985 the Metric Commision of Canada was disbanded and replaced by a small Metric Information Division in the department of Industry Canada. This office was disbanded in April 1988.

SneakyB'tard once bubbled...
Metric use in Canada

A moratorium on the enforcement of the weights and measures act was declared in 1983 by the then Minister of Consumer and Corporate Affairs. Since then, the policy has been to let the marketplace set the pace of conversion rather than force its use by regulation.

In March 1985 the Metric Commision of Canada was disbanded and replaced by a small Metric Information Division in the department of Industry Canada. This office was disbanded in April 1988.
All to make sure that we the Consumers could not figure out that gas was going to go over a dollar/gallon.

Charlie99 once bubbled...
Once you find one that uses bars, then try to find one that uses the metric measure, Pascals.

You'd truly get some strange looks asking for a 20 megaPascal fill. =-)

well put... and you'd get equally blank looks asking how many SLUGS a scuba cylinder has in a country using the imperial system... like the US! or Canada -- :eek:

Doppler once bubbled...

well put... and you'd get equally blank looks asking how many SLUGS a scuba cylinder has in a country using the imperial system... like the US! or Canada -- :eek:
[Geekmode on] Mine holds about 185 millislugs, and that doesn't change with temp <g>.

The real confusion on tank sizes is that metric world uses internal volume to describe tanks, while imperial world uses the 1ata free gas volume contained at rated pressure.

Bars are kind of like Angstroms --- popular, and a power of 10 of the true SI unit, but not true SI. [/GeekOff]

Charlie99 once bubbled...
[Geekmode on] Mine holds about 185 millislugs, and that doesn't change with temp <g>.

The real confusion on tank sizes is that metric world uses internal volume to describe tanks, while imperial world uses the 1ata free gas volume contained at rated pressure.

Bars are kind of like Angstroms --- popular, and a power of 10 of the true SI unit, but not true SI. [/GeekOff]

Teheehee!

No, true geek mode would be how many moles of gas the cylinder is capable of holding.... and I think we've hijacked the thread.

SORRY

Back
Top Bottom