Diving Catalina on Sunday

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Glad you had a good time. There was quite a bit of rain on Sunday.
LP95 is a big heavy tank.
Sea d Sea is a nice shop to do business with.

It was rainy and overcast when we landed at LAX but beautiful when we left the Catalina Express landing to cross to Avalon. I hear Sea d Sea is nice. I went with them based on folks on here. I just went across the street to the Sports Chalet here and I am glad I am not getting anything there. I am 6'4" and 225lbs, so I should be able to handle the tank. Biggest change for me yesterday was the amount of weight I dived with. I used 10-12lbs at home. I had 30 yesterday with a 7mm suit. But, I did not seem over weighted at all.

There is a sports chalet in the city of Torrance and I have rented from them many times before I bought my own gear. They do rent pretty good stuff, but the service at times was not so good.
Sea D Sea is a wonderful small shop. The owner, Barry, always stops whatever he is doing to give you a fill, (and a good fill), and has a nice assortment of gear, plus rents out whatever you need.
Next time you're in LA just post here on SB and I'm sure there will be a few that can help you out.
Oh and have a nice time at Vets......

I am looking forward to the dive at Vets. I may be coming back here in the spring, but hopefully I will have my own equipment by then. I plan on buying it in March. I would still have to rent a 7mm suit and hood. Not much use for those back home.

If the waves look a bit rough, then don your fins then walk backward into the water. Also, when you get out of the water; once again, if the waves are too tough for you to stand and doff your fins, then swallow your pride and swim up the beach, crawl out of the water and onto the sand. Somebody will help get your fins off. It's better than getting toppled by the waves and can't get up. You can drown in 6" of water before anybody can get to you.

If the waves look a bit rough, then don your fins then walk backward into the water. Also, when you get out of the water; once again, if the waves are too tough for you to stand and doff your fins, then swallow your pride and swim up the beach, crawl out of the water and onto the sand. Somebody will help get your fins off. It's better than getting toppled by the waves and can't get up. You can drown in 6" of water before anybody can get to you.

Thanks for the tip. One of the advantages of being pretty new is my pride level as far as diving is pretty low! :) I have no problem beaching myself like a whale and taking my fins off.

cwhite6:6109227:
If the waves look a bit rough, then don your fins then walk backward into the water. You can drown in 6" of water before anybody can get to you.

You really can drown in six inches of water. It seems like every couple years someone does. Getting in and out is often the hardest part at Vets. Leave your regulator in your mouth until you are on dry land so you have something to breath. Also anything not clipped to you will be lost eventually. Putting your mask around your neck is a good idea both for entering and exiting. Anyway hopefully it will be flat and you won't need any of this.

If it's not Naja's on the pier is a good place to drown your sorrows.

I was out in Malibu tonight and it was 10-15 foot vis, with 1-2 surf. I wont be able to make it tomorrow after all, but I have a feeling vets will be amazing. Enjoy it!

Change of plans. Going to go dive Malaga cove instead of Vet's. If you want to join us, pm me for directions.

The dive last night was interesting. I learned alot and saw some really cool marine life including getting buzzed by a sea lion. Gilbert and JP were awesome and took the time to help me out and kept an eye on me. I definitely learned to always carefully inspect the rental gear. I am not a fan of weight belts at all I found out again. I had a real hard time with my buoyancy during the whole dive. Still, I really enjoyed it and look forward to going home and telling all the folks about the dive and the cool things I saw.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom