Diving Concepts vs. DUI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JeffG:
I have the Ultra-Flex Pro. On the DUI line 350 is "light" the 450 Cordura is "Heavy" and the CF 200 is "Real $#@$#@ Heavy" :D

The Ultra Flex Pro is close to the DUI 450 Cordura. Much heavier than the 350. I am not familar with the Z-Flex, so I have no idea what its weight/drying time is like, but it sounds close to the Ultra Flex Pro. But If I understand correctly, they do not custom fits for that suit. Only stoke sizes. If I am wrong, I'm sure someone will correct me.

Both DUI TLS 350 and DC Ultra Flex Pro can be custom cut. I've had mine for about a year. Initially had lots of problems with seal fitting properly and leaks, but have since repaired the deficiencies. Fit is usually the top concern followed by leaks/repairs. Believe the DC is more competitively priced when the "the works" are all said and done (P-valve, bellow pockets on both sides, dry glove attachment).

Harry

HarryH97:
Both DUI TLS 350 and DC Ultra Flex Pro can be custom cut.
I was only talking about the Z-Flex not being able to be custom cut.

I got the Tech Cut with my Ultra Flex Pro (Which would be similar to the Cave Cut DUI offers for their suits)

JeffG:
I have the Ultra-Flex Pro. On the DUI line 350 is "light" the 450 Cordura is "Heavy" and the CF 200 is "Real $#@$#@ Heavy" :D

The Ultra Flex Pro is close to the DUI 450 Cordura. Much heavier than the 350. I am not familar with the Z-Flex, so I have no idea what its weight/drying time is like, but it sounds close to the Ultra Flex Pro. But If I understand correctly, they do not custom fits for that suit. Only stoke sizes. If I am wrong, I'm sure someone will correct me.

So it sounds like there is no DC version of the 350... the 350 certainly is nice and light, but I don't mind adding a little weight for a more durable suit. Seems like the Ultra Flex Pro is the way to go...

I'm not actually sure about the status of the z-flex... it is in the printed catalog that they have in my LDS, but not on the DC web site..! You would think that the latest info would be on the site, not sure if the company has done away with the z-flex as a low end model. It sounds like it is back entry only, stock sizes only, and about $1000. Will go over this with the LDS again this week...

JeffG:
I was only talking about the Z-Flex not being able to be custom cut.

I got the Tech Cut with my Ultra Flex Pro (Which would be similar to the Cave Cut DUI offers for their suits)

What do you think about the glove/wrist seal choices...?

I personally prefer wet gloves so that I can have my hands free until the last minute and put the gloves on quickly. When I used the DUI dry glove system, I felt like I had to have it ready to go before I got near the water. I did like the idea of the DUI zip seals so that I could fix a ripped seal quickly on-site. I understand that the zip neck seal makes it hard to get it over your head.

It looks like the DC glove system lets you use replacable wrist seals or dry gloves with the same suit. They also have "wrist seal dry gloves" that do not connect to the suit at all (just a second writs seal). Would this be a problem with glove squeeze if you can't put air into them?

doctormike:

I personally prefer wet gloves so that I can have my hands free until the last minute and put the gloves on quickly. When I used the DUI dry glove system, I felt like I had to have it ready to go before I got near the water. I did like the idea of the DUI zip seals so that I could fix a ripped seal quickly on-site. I understand that the zip neck seal makes it hard to get it over your head.

It looks like the DC glove system lets you use replacable wrist seals or dry gloves with the same suit. They also have "wrist seal dry gloves" that do not connect to the suit at all (just a second writs seal). Would this be a problem with glove squeeze if you can't put air into them?
I just got standard latex seals and use the Skaana dryglove system. They can attach to any wrist seal and they can also be removed if you do not want to use drygloves. (Lets say you were going to do some Mexico Cave diving in 75 deg water...no need for drygloves)

I am not familar with the DC gloves system so I cannot comment on that.

I have the DC glove system on my Neo Z. I only use the dry gloves when ice diving or diving in very cold water (40 F degrees or less). I found that I loose some dexterity with them when compared to wet gloves. But I like that I can change the seal quickly. I've only had to change the seal once and it took 2 minutes. I do like DUI's zip neck seal.

ppo2_diver:
I have the DC glove system on my Neo Z. I only use the dry gloves when ice diving or diving in very cold water (40 F degrees or less). I found that I loose some dexterity with them when compared to wet gloves. But I like that I can change the seal quickly. I've only had to change the seal once and it took 2 minutes. I do like DUI's zip neck seal.

Yes, I feel the same way about dry gloves.. .doubt that I'll be doing any ice diving soon, and wet gloves felt OK a few weeks ago in the quarry in 48 F water.

Will look into the Skaana system (no company turned up with a google search, any ideas?)

doctormike:

Skanna and DC dry glove ring system are identical in design. Most folks here in the Pacific Northwest put a small rubber tube/motorcycle fuel line or bungee under the wrist seal to equalize the glove. Snug fit is very important, otherwise, you've got excessive glove material at the finger tips which makes clipping, unclipping near impossible. So, try before you buy. The design allows for quick & positive pop-on, pop-off (it's either on or off), not a partial seal like zip seals. I've heard mixed reviews about zip seals (love and hate), but have never bothered adding that "failure point" for the convenience of on-site repair. So, I don't have first hand experience. I just send the suit back to the shop for a new seal.

As for warm water, pop off the ring system and use it like a regualr seal with neoprene gloves or go cave style and rot your hands out with no gloves! :D

Although, be aware, putting the ring back on requires interesting gymnastics and incredible discipline from cussing/condemning the rings and the suit.

Sincerely,
Harry

HarryH97:
Skanna and DC dry glove ring system are identical in design. Most folks here in the Pacific Northwest put a small rubber tube/motorcycle fuel line or bungee under the wrist seal to equalize the glove. Snug fit is very important, otherwise, you've got excessive glove material at the finger tips which makes clipping, unclipping near impossible. So, try before you buy. The design allows for quick & positive pop-on, pop-off (it's either on or off), not a partial seal like zip seals. I've heard mixed reviews about zip seals (love and hate), but have never bothered adding that "failure point" for the convenience of on-site repair. So, I don't have first hand experience. I just send the suit back to the shop for a new seal.

As for warm water, pop off the ring system and use it like a regualr seal with neoprene gloves or go cave style and rot your hands out with no gloves! :D

Although, be aware, putting the ring back on requires interesting gymnastics and incredible discipline from cussing/condemning the rings and the suit.

Sincerely,
Harry

Yup... leaning towards just having straight seals and wet gloves...I was worried about the failure point issue too... Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom