Diving deep or night diving with OW cert?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jbd:
For D_O_H--- If something had gone wrong, and you were injured, disabled or died, would you file a lawsuit against this DM? If so, why? If not, why?

How did you know I am an attorney?

I may be the exception, but I would never sue the DM merely for recommending that I go on the dive. If my tank were full of carbon monoxide or he attacked me at 130' in a narked-up rage or something I might, but otherwise I am a big boy and take responsibility for my decisions.

Scuba_Jenny:
It all depends on who you talk to. Some will say the AOW card is a waste of money, and others will tell you that it is a valuable learning tool.
Me? I did my first OW dive to 70fsw. My first night dive was off the beach. It was #13. At the time, I thought I needed more experience before I got my AOW. Well, here it is years later and I am still OW. I have never had a problem getting on a dive boat, of course I have logged every dive I have ever done, and am a pretty regular diver.

I've been on a boat to a particular wreck that required a AOW. Also said if you do not come up at the required time you sit out the second dive. Protecting his operation and saving someone from big trouble. Have to respect an operator like that. Not like the one that Mike had a runin with. Drop them in the water and when the float to the surface haul'em in. AOW certification has it's merits which is predicated on your experience.

I should go read the details booklet carefully to make sure it doesn't rule out diving beyond one's cert level... then I can do that single-tank 218'-on-air dive I'm planning (KIDDING!)
Saw a young, head instructor go to 265 feet (or so he claimed; coulda' been a result of narcosis memory?) on a sinlge 80 cf air. I didn't know what he'd planned but was with my buddy (junior instr) who followed him and his wife (third isnt) to the edge of the drop. I was on 32% Nx, so I stopped at 130, while the two gals stopped around 140 and 150 to wait for his bounce. I was concerned until I learned more, then pissed. :angry: Could have very easily killed himself, injured others, and ruined the trip for the whole group.

But I got the idea that he was very embarrassed and a little hurt. He set out the last dive of the day as well as the next/last day. Didn't press him for discussion, but I will before I dive with him again.

deadend:
A cert. card won't make you any more qualified than your own comfort level and personal abilities. If you know the risks involved, and feel comfortable enough to deal with any probs. you may run into then by all means do the dives. What I'm saying is dive within your own comfort level. There are no scuba police that will ticket you for going to 61+ feet. Get the additional instruction when you can. It will only make you a better diver.

Good luck!
What do you mean there is no scuba police?!?! you mean i got my aow for nothing!!!

I've seen a lot of places on the net that stipulate on their website no AOW card, no dive in the deep. Esp in the Keys where I'm planning my next trip.

Are these typically enforced? I'm AOW, but in all honesty that doesn't mean much since I've got under 50 dives and none past 80 FSW. On the other hand, I know an OW diver with nearly 200 dives that teaches me things all the time.

If I were a dive operator, I'd be more interested in seeing a log book than a card any knucklehead can get with 9 training dives and not one "real, on his own" dive.

Wijbrandus:
I've seen a lot of places on the net that stipulate on their website no AOW card, no dive in the deep. Esp in the Keys where I'm planning my next trip.

Are these typically enforced? I'm AOW, but in all honesty that doesn't mean much since I've got under 50 dives and none past 80 FSW. On the other hand, I know an OW diver with nearly 200 dives that teaches me things all the time.

If I were a dive operator, I'd be more interested in seeing a log book than a card any knucklehead can get with 9 training dives and not one "real, on his own" dive.
I guess a lot of them are going with Liability Insurance requirements and attorney's advice. If an AOW gets injured, it's a lot easier to defend than if an OW does on a deep dive. Too, cards ae esy to check; log book studies take a lot of time when you have 10-20 divers checking in at once. {At least most of the divers in my Singles Group already had their paperwork filled out before they got there!}

i'm ow cert. i got this cert just two weeks ago. i decided before i do any dives on my own that i'd take the aow cert. the reson: to get a couple more dives under my belt before i jumped into a 'real' dive. i liked the idea of having an instructor and divemaster right there for a couple of more dives to assist in the transition from a land-lover to a diver. all the specialty stuff they throw in is a bonus and will start me on my way for future exposure to those skills.

AOW will add some knowledge, as well as some tips not in the book. That said, your skill level is more important than your cert level. OTOH, it does make things easier with Dive operators. In the Keys they are serious about the cert, though they may waive it if you have logged dives to 80 ft or an instructor is taking responsibility.

Back
Top Bottom