Diving Erie, PA?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you guys know anything about the Charles Foster, Phillip D. Armour, or Canobe wrecks? I might also be travelling to Erie, PA, but won't be able to head up to NY to dive. Can you dive these wrecks off the penisula (or nearby)?

Charles Foster - It in about 75 ft of water, the pig iron it was hauling blew out the left side of the ship when it went down. Very silty bottom. You'll still find china around it. The ship's stove and wheel are about 10 feet off on the right rear side.

Phillip D. Armour - Only about 30 feet deep, sandy bottom, boilers are all there. The front left side of the ship is pretty much gone. Lots of coal around it.

I'm assuming you mean the Canobie - Only in 15 feet, there is a bouy which is moored beside the propeller. Rocky bottom, You can see the boiler from the surface.

LIT, are those wrecks in Erie near the penninsula?
What can I be expecting besides actually freezing my Florida body? What are the temps gonna be like? Is a 7mm gonna be thick eneough?

Can we get nitrox? Since Brian can't join us, anybody got a cold water reg I can borrow, oh, and a tank or two and weights, a spare wetsuit? pleeaassseee..... :wink:

edit: Ok, just answered one of my own questions... Local wrecks...
http://www.scubaerie.com/wreck.htm
Canobie
This enormous 268' X 38' Canadian wooden prop steamer is a favorite shipwreck of area divers. There is much to see: propeller, machinery, a huge 14" diameter X 17' height boiler and numerous nooks and crannies. The many fish and good visibility on this wreck make it an excellent night dive.

Eldorado
This 19th century 489 ton schooner/barge was stranded during a violent gale and blinding snow storm on November 20, 1880. This is an easy, yet interesting dive. The wreck is littered with huge bass and the smooth rock bottom makes for good vis.

Philip D. Armour
This 264' freight barge/steamer that sank during a gale in 1915, sits at a depth of 30'. The stern section's propeller, boilers, machinery, and deck area are still remarkably intact. This is one great wreck.

Scuba_Jenny:
LIT, are those wrecks in Erie near the penninsula?
What can I be expecting besides actually freezing my Florida body? What are the temps gonna be like? Is a 7mm gonna be thick eneough?

Can we get nitrox? Since Brian can't join us, anybody got a cold water reg I can borrow, oh, and a tank or two and weights, a spare wetsuit? pleeaassseee..... :wink:

edit: Ok, just answered one of my own questions... Local wrecks...
http://www.scubaerie.com/wreck.htm

Can we get nitrox? Yes

Anybody got a cold water reg I can borrow. Your kidding right ?

I have 3 spare tanks, and I have shot, or hard weights which do you want?

7mm is more then enough. 60-65 degrees that time of year.

Actually I am not kidding about a cold water rig. I dive a sherwood brut, and am told they are notorioius for freeflowing in the colder water. Ok, so I am a bit naiive about this cold water stuff. So, was it a stupid question?
Yes, 60-65 is cold for me. I dove a couple weekends ago in 72° with my 3/3 and froze. The hood on dive 4 helped a bit however.
Spare tanks and the shot is good. Thanks in advance. :)

I did a fair number of dives, as have my buddies, using Sherwood Bruts. Our OW and AOW classes were done in ~ 40 degree water, and every single one of us were on Bruts.

Have never seen a freeflow on one of them. So, while it may be a concern, it's inaccurate to say that Brut + colder water = freeflows. I wouldn't worry about it.

Ok, I prefer to dive my own rig, but was a bit concerned. Thanks for the info, guess I will be bringing my reg along.

Scuba_Jenny:
Ok, so I am a bit naiive about this cold water stuff. So, was it a stupid question?

Never ! ! ! Assumptions are stupid :D

Ok folks help me out here. Just because I grew up in Erie does not mean I know where the wrecks are. The link I posted earlier lists some wrecks then points to a charter outa NY. Are there any charters in Erie, or do we need to go to NY to dive?

Jenny,

Ann (dive4funOften) is from Erie. She has a friend (Susan) going through her OW course right now. Send Ann a PM asking her for feedback on this as well.

Back
Top Bottom