Diving Fatality in Brockville

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

taz22

Contributor
Reaction score
There was a diving fataility in Brockville today. He was a 40 year old male diving on the Gaskin today.

I haven't heard all of the details as of yet but a person in a group I was suppose to dive with around noon hour saw the diver being brought to shore by the Rowing Club.

Will see if I can find anything else out.

kimmy once bubbled...
Go to cbc.ca and it will give the full story.....sad :(

Kimmy

I looked for a few min, and it wasn't obvious where to find the article...Can you please post a complete link?

Many thanks!

Sean

Just got in from my night dive and have a little bit more info.

At the time things happened only one charter boat was on the Gaskin ( Above n Below ). The male dive who passed away was french speaking ( sounds like from Montreal instead of Ottawa ) and in his early 40's.

Everyone is pretty tight-lipped about everything at this time. Will wait to see what more comes out of the investigation.

It is sad when something like this happens to one of our own. My prayers and thoughts are with his family!

:(

.... and prayers are with his family and friends. Dive safe everyone...

Kayla

This from the Ottawa Citizen 10-Aug-03

Man dies in scuba mishap

A man is dead following a suba diving accident yesterday at a St Lawrence River shipwreck, Brockville police say.

The diver, whose identity is being withheld pending notification of next-of-kin, was exploring the Robert Gaskin, a wreck located several hundred metres from shore, when the accident occurred.

Police, who attended the scene at about 12 p.m., would release no other details about the mishap.

Unconscious when police retrieved him from the water, the man never responded to revival attempts. He was later pronounced dead at Brockville General Hospital.

Sunk in 1889, the Robert Gaskin - a three-masted wooden schooner 40 meters long - lies in 17 to 21 feet of water. Known as an "intermediate" dive, it attracts scores of novice divers who visit because of its relatively shallow depths.

The wreck can receive as many as 150 divers on any given Saturday, said Mike Johnson, well-seasoned Brockville scuba instructor.

Mr Johnson said he was "disappointed" in the accident, noting that diving-related deaths are relatively rare.

Brockville police continue to investigate the accident.
- - - - - -

Please note "17 to 21 feet of water. " is an incorrect unit of measure... the wreck lies in 17 to 21 meters If using feet, the depth would be approximately 55ft to 68 ft

I was in Brockville this Saturday but our charter did not include the Robert Gaskin (King, Daryaw and Lille instead). The charter operator however was right beside us when we docked at Sparrow Island. I did hear a few details but all of them are speculation, so I prefer not writing them here since it is just that (speculation).

I do however have two facts, which was confirmed by the charter operator's girlfriend: the victim is male and belonged to a dive club from Trois-Rivieres, Quebec.

And yes, excellent correction DivingGal, it didn't notice when reading the Citizen this morning, the Gaskin starts in 55 of water and not 21 like the article suggests.

... my thoughts go to friends and family.....

Anyone with more info, please post.....

SS

Back
Top Bottom