Diving Fatality in Brockville

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was diving on the Gaskin at eleven and the Above and Below boat took our mooring when we left for our next dive, we heard chatter on the VHF but weren't sure what was going on.

My condoleances to the family and freinds of the diver. May he rest in peace.

A doctor of Three-Rivers dies by making diving

Canadian Press

Brockville, Ontario

A doctor of Three-Rivers is deceased Saturday during deep-sea diving to explore a wreck in water of the St. Lawrence river to the height of Brockville, in Ontario.

Close relations of the victim confirmed with the Canadian Press that it would be about Jean Garceau, a general practitioner of about fifty years which had a deprived private clinic with Three-Rivers.

Unconscious when the police officers fished out it, Mr. Garceau could not be revived in spite of the operations tried to save the life to him.

Jean Garceau took part in an excursion in the debris of the Robert Gaskin, the wreck of a bâteau of forty meters length which ran to several hundred meters of bank in 1889, but only six meters of depth.

Yo!

Some guy out of Quebec embolized at begining of dive. Loaded with gear ie video camera etc, Had OMS double bladder wings that were full when he bumbed into Mike Kendals boat. He was diving off of the old boat from that Dive shop in Brockville.

Apparently his buddy said he tried to hold him down but couldn't so he let him go and finished the dive. The guy had 2800 psi left in his tank! They were apparently accidents waiting to happen...even Hellen Cooper refused to take them out, go figure.

D M I

Are you talking about a different diver or did the diver from Trois Riviere die of an embolie?

Same guy. there was only one accident this past weekend.

Brockville Police Inspector Adrian Geraghty said Jean Garceau, a 51 year old diver from Trois Rivieres, Quebec, was pronounced dead at Brockville General Hospital Saturday following an 11.30am mishap while diving a historic wreck 500 meters off Brockville's Centeen Park.

City Police Sergeant Peter Buell said Sunday the diving accident happened while Garceau was exploring the Robert Gaskin, a barge that sank in 1889 while trying to raise a rail ferry.

Blue Wave owner Michel Chartier of Montreal rushed Garceau back to shore on a faster boat in the area, where he was picked up by paramedics at Blockhouse Island.

The paramedics tried desperately to revive the man using CPR as they rushed him to Brockville General Hospital.

A post mortem was expected to be conducted Monday at an Ottawa Hospital.

Chartier said Sunday that he had been chatting with operators of two other dive boats on the surface when someone yelled "diver face down" and noticed Garceau floating in the water about 20 feet away.

Chartier and another charter operator, Mike Kendall, dove into the water and turned the man over.

"He was unconscious, his eyes were wide open, and his pupils dilated" said Chartier. I took his mask off and started mouth to mouth resuscitation"

Meanwhile Kendall grabbed Carceau's arm and a guide line attached to his boat New Wave. Others on board began hauling in the line, dragging the three men over to the boat.

They pulled the victim in and Chartier continued CPR and mouth to mouth.

It was decided that they would take Under Where, the fastest of the three baots anchored at the dive site, back to Blockhouse Island and 911 was called, alerting rescue officials of the need for an ambulance.

A friend of Garceau who had been diving with him told Chartier the doctor had descended and indicated by tapping his chest he was having trouble breathing. The doctor then switched from his standard regulator to his octopus. That didn't work. He wasn't getting enough air, so he switched back to his regulator, Chartier said.

They said his eyes went really big and he leaned backward, said Chartier.

The doctor's dive vest then inflated , carrying him quickly to the surface.

The diving buddy who witnessed the incident saw he went to the surface, thought he was OK, and continued the dive, said Chartier. It was only later he discovered the truth.

The doctor was using his own equipment, said Chartier.

Chartier said he was still shaken by the episode, but he was thankful for help from both Kendall and the owner of Under Where.

The Robert Gaskin is one of the more popular dive sites in the area, which has seen an increasing amount of dive activity in recent years. The improved clarity if water in the 1000 Islands region, due mainly to zebra mussels, has made the area a prime diving location for those interested in exploring historic wrecks.

Buell, a former police diver, said the Gaskin is considered a comparatively easy dive among wrecks in the area.

"From experience diving it is one of the more relaxing, recreational dives, Buell said.

My condolences to the family and friends of the diver.

Did I miss something or did his buddy not surface with him? Your buddy is having problems breathing so you are going to let him surface on his own and continue on your dive?

Thanks,

Paul

Fat_Tony once bubbled...
My condolences to the family and friends of the diver.

Did I miss something or did his buddy not surface with him? Your buddy is having problems breathing so you are going to let him surface on his own and continue on your dive?

Thanks,

Paul

A good question Paul!

I was wondering that and why his buddy didn't offer him his octopus. If the victims 1 stage failed, using his own octopus wouldn't help.

Certainly seems that the buddy system failed on this dive. I don't think I could ever just let my buddy go to the surface without wanting to go up with him and check and make sure he was ok.

I am also wondering why they decided take the diver to Blockhouse Island instead of Centeen Park. Centeen is closer and Park Street ends right at the water there and it is closer to the Hospital and has less traffic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom