DIVING / FLYING

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree. The limit should be the same.
However I did fly on a coast guard helicopter carrying a diver to the deco chamber and the pilot told md he was not allowed to exceed 3000 feet, as the cabin was not pressurised.
Of course a quite different situation...

As you note, a very different situation. One someone is actively sick with suspected DCS, the other someone is trying to minimize the possibility as practically as they can within their travel/vacation time allowance.

I'm an idiot and didn't think when I planned my dive. LoL

Here are my stats:

*** TODAY ***
- ONE DIVE
- Avg 32 feet
- Dive lasted 42 minutes
- DIVE ENDED: 11:51am

*** TOMORROW ***
FLIGHT TIME: 9:35 am (Probably take off at 10:00am

Can I fly? Thanks
Generally you should wait 24 hours between diving and flying however with your one dive to a shallow depth, you will be completely off gassed by the time of your flight. It’s about 23 hours

For non-transport category airplanes (aka smaller planes) it requires supplementary oxygen to be supplied above 12,500ft for passengers.
Close enough. That’s for a different reason though – avoidance of hypoxia, which leads to crew incapacitation and various sad outcomes. OP’s concern is more about the risk of altitude DCS – effectively, continuation of his last dive with nitrogen-loaded tissues (I would not worry about that if I were in his situation, just like @Angelo Farina said)

(nit-picking mode on)
In the US, FAR 14 CFR para 91.211 says: all occupants on supplemental oxygen above 15,000’ cabin altitude (size of aircraft doesn’t matter). Minimum crew (~ pilot flying) on oxygen if above 12,500’ for longer than 30 minutes, or if above 14,000’ – for the entire flight at these altitudes.
(nit-picking mode off)

Incidentally, there is a ton of unclassified research on altitude DCS from various US government agencies, makes for an interesting read

Back
Top Bottom