Diving GBR Jan 2012 advice needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kc2002

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I will be in Melbourne Jan 20-23 for the Australian Open and would like to dive the GBR before that. I would like a 3 or 5 day liveaboard. How is the weather in Jan? Which would be a better starting point Cairns or Port Douglas? I am AOW certified with 50 dives. Please recommend some boats.

Jan is height of summer and also our rainy / cyclone season, so weather can be hit or miss. If you are in Melbourne then you can keep up to date with weather. It is possible, but unlikely, that a trip would be cancelled to bad weather. Just be aware of it though. Good points are great, warm water (wont need a wet suit all the time) and plenty to see.

As for trips see here for a list of overnight boats out of Cairns. I would strongly recommend a trip op the Cod Hole and Ribbon Reefs, as this is the best the Reef has to offer and there are plenty of posts here about these trips. Mike Ball, Spirit of Freedom and Taka are the 3 main ones.

Port Douglas is a great place but not really a good place for over night boats. Only a couple of expensive charter boats. Cairns is considered the Gateway to the Reef and a such has the majority of trips to the Reef.

Hope that helps :)

Hi Kc,

The Australian Open in Melbourne in Jan is going to be great. Melbourne will be fantastic, and an absolutely outstanding Venue.

Regarding Diving here in Cairns.... well what do you think your arrival date into Cairns might be? What type of Reef locations around the World have you visited so far, or what do you consider the best diving experiences that you have had.

Kc, will you be travelling on your own.

Cheers Andy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom