Diving in Colombia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Drew Sailbum:
And I'm just back from a different Colombia destination. The diving in San Andres was simply superb. It is one of those destinations that hasn't been discovered by the North American tourist market... yet.

Drew, it's been discovered by North America.... well.... sorry... CANADA. We've had chartered flights to SAI for almost 10 years now. :crafty:

I was there in March and highly recommend the diving, and KARIBIK DIVER as the dive operation out there. Werner (aka Wernito) runs a great dive op.

We were there last week. Copa definitely fly from Panama and I think Taca go from San Jose (we met Costa Ricans who flew there direct). Absolutely nothing bad will happen to you connecting via Bogota airport with Avianca.

I had a charter flight direct from my home in Grand Cayman. Otherwise Copa flies from Panama and was cited as the most convenient connection for scheduled carriers.

Indeed, other than charter flights, San Andres can be a difficult place to get to, but worth the effort.

Just a quick note: For those searching the board electronically, the trip report linked to in the first post of this thread contains information about Bogota, Cartagena, Santa Marta and Taganga. Dive operators / hotels discussed include Caribbean Divers, Poseidon Dive Center, Casa la Fe, Hotel Bahia Taganga and Hotel Ballena Azul.

I'm curious. Do you divers consider San Andres a South American dive site (in terms of what continent it belongs "on")? Of course politically it is affiliated with Columbia, a South American country. However it is off Central America which would geographically link it to the North American continent.

I've had this debate re: Bonaire which I consider geographically to be a South American dive site because it is geographically linked to that continent. However most consider it "Caribbean" and National Geographic claims it is considered North American. Politically it could be considered European (Dutch). Go figure.

drbill:
I'm curious. Do you divers consider San Andres a South American dive site (in terms of what continent it belongs "on")? Of course politically it is affiliated with Columbia, a South American country. However it is off Central America which would geographically link it to the North American continent.

To step back a bit further, many people in Latin America and Europe are taught that there is a single American continent (not separate North and South American continents). I've had huge debates with my Colombian girlfriend on this point. The response to your question will be very dependant on who you ask.

Good thread here, and great trip report. I'm considering Cartagena + Santa Mart for a combo topside tourism + diving. Might be just the ticket...

Hi,

Up for this thread, I am going to colombia Cartagena and Santa Marta / Taganga next month for 3 weeks.
Any recommended Dive Shop in Taganga ?

Do you recommend any things great to do around there ?

Thanks a lot

Sly

I think you USED to be able to fly San Jose, CR to San Andres but those flights are no longer offered.

one hour flight out of Panama city on copaair.com ... $106.25 each direction

Back
Top Bottom