Diving in Holguin Cuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TATA

Reaction score
Hello, everyone. I am new to the board. We're heading to Holguin, Cuba for a week of diving. Has anyone been there lately? How is the Dive Centre - I think they're called Eagle Ray? Thanks in advance for the response.

I'll post a report on our trip when we get back.

TATA,
who was your trip? I was told that Cuba diving is pretty interesting and visit there is an adventure on it's own. But i haven't being there , so would rather say nothing.
Let us know how did it go.
Thank you.

Hi TATA,

Hoping I'm not too late responding !!!

Holguin is a pretty large region .... Most of the people who land at Holguin Airport go to Guardalavaca or nearby.

I was in Las Tunas last February and stayed at Villa Covarrubias Hotel. The hotel was great but the diving was BAD.

First, when I got to the dive center to reserve my 25 dives ( or so ) the attendant told me that the center had their permit cancelled for a year since April of last year !!!!

We managed to dive 5 times and the underwater fauna was almost non-existant !!

Last year, that region was hit by 2 tornados ...

Hope your diving will be beter than mine .

Diving in populated regions in Cuba generally means nice coral formations, nice wrecks, lots of nice small fish but few big fish and other fauna (turtles, etc.). Fish there is overfished unfortunately. However, in non (or not much) populated areas, the diving is much better in terms of fish: Isla de la Reina, Isla de la juventud, Cayo Largo, etc.

I'm back from Santa Lucia (Camaguey region) and the diving center was nice and the diving was "ok"

hi
am planning a trip to cuba this summer -it will be at a resort in one of these 3 places
and i was wondering which would be most recommended for diving
additionally - how much can i expect to pay for diving - i have no equipment except snorkelling gear
thanks a lot for any help
i read that holguin was not looking good for sea life.. can anyone else confirm that?
cheers!!:)

Leaving for Holguin and staying at Playa Costa Verde next week. I will let you know how it went when I get back. Harold

Have a nice trip and dont forget to bring back some
IMG_7297.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom