Diving in Kauai + certification ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike, thanks. You got PM for further more questions.

cbm32, great suggestion on doing a package. Will keep that in mind.

The only reason I didnt want to do a shore dive was I didnt want to exhaust myself swimming out. Though last time I did it, I had 2 wetsuits, hood, gloves, and 36lbs of lead. I have a history of asthma and rather save the energy for the actual dives :D

I am open for suggestions on sites based on the DM / Shop. That will work the best. I don't know what to expect in terms of underwater life. My only requirement is, the 1st dive I do a guided one on one to get comfortable. :)

Looks like I'm all booked with Fathom Five for now.
Sunday I will be doing a private dive with Mike (Thanks for doing this on your day off!) - Koloa Landing. Monday will be Tunnels, and wednesday + friday will be boat dives.

Decent prices as well.

Now hoping that the storms are not stirring up a lot of the water and its calm.

Aloha Mayur,

Excited to hear about your upcoming trip. Your foundation of being certified in California is about as solid as it comes generally and I'm sure it will send you on the path of success as you start/continue diving. I applaud your decision to start shallow as you get in your first dives in Hawaiian waters. It's just my humble opinion that it sets you up for success. That will give you the chance to get your exposure protection and weight figured out in a more personalized environment. Of the two fantastic shore options for you I would suggest going to Koloa Landing for your dives. Tunnels could be done later if you chose to do so. The highlight there is the lava tubes / overhead environments and it's a bit more conservative to not jump right into that. I am by no means trying to scare you off of it as it is a relatively easy dive most days - it's just a little more conservative to not do it right away. Visibility is also more consistent at Koloa Landing which also has more abundant sea life. It's easy to do 2-4 dives at either of these sites. I've led hundreds of dives at each site and think you'll enjoy both.

It's hard to get a 1:1 ratio dive schedule without emptying the pocket book with most shops so be clear on your intentions when you book. Most shops will take a maximum of 4 certified divers per group. If you want a private dive you can certainly set it up but some shops will charge you 2-4X the price. If you want to take a chance and increase your likelihood of a private or semi private dive book an afternoon dive at the Landing. I've actually enjoyed diving there in the afternoons better anyway when the crowds go away.

Boat dives are condition dependent so it's hard to know where you will go on any given day. Kauai has finicky water with occasional rain and runoff. swell and currents. The exception to the rule often is Sheraton Caverns and Fathom should have no problem getting you there any day. PM boats in particular are geared for shallow dives. Fathom is great as they have 2 boats and can get an am boat of divers to shallow sites too. It broadens the options of dive sites by getting out early.

Oh, Koloa Landing is a very easy shore dive by the way. Tunnels is a little more challenging with a 50 yard walk in full gear (approx) but has a stunning backdrop for a shore dive.

As to Nitrox - Yes! Everyone should "do the gas" in my opinion. It's an easy and quick certification.

If you have any further questions just send me a PM and I'd be happy to help you out.

Hope your time in Kauai is awesome! If I can help with suggestions for family stuff just let me know!

Aloha, A

Back
Top Bottom