Diving in low viz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Because I have traveled 1 hour to get there. Wont do a second dive in it though. Low vis means different things to different people. My idea of low vis is 15 to 30 ft. Sad I know especially when I see videos of people here having what they would call a great dive in conditions I wouldn't waste air on :).

I try to keep to a schedule of diving once weekly most months of the year. Most of the time the viz in NW FL in winter is OK to good, and here in NS I can postpone the dive a day or a few days if the ocean has been nasty kicking up sand and everything else. Once in a while the viz is 2-3 feet so I go slowly, especially if there is any surge. Once you're in the water you hate to chose another day-- too much work gearing up just for nothing.

I do many of my dives to observe specific animals so, as long as the vis allows that, I'm happy. When videoing in a general sense I find I am a little more disturbed by really crappy vis but if I can shoot something, I'm happy.

Around here, if you can't travel you have to take what you get or you won't dive. Either it's low vis or ice forming during the SI :)

"There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone."

Home. Peace. Comfort.

I have been known to buddy. Given the proper buddy, I do a damn fine job of it. (http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ba...e-diver-course-students-view.html#post5995155) I just don't ever plan to make it a habit.

It's better than not diving. Actually I prefer UK diving over warm water stuff. Something about giant hunks of metal littering the sea bed....

Because if you are comfortable in low viz, you're also generally comfortable in good viz? Or is that just because I prefer to practice in "bad" conditions so that when the fan gets dirty I'm calm and relaxed?

pea soup diving: well, it's still more interesting than not diving at all. And there's always the chance of seing something neat, esp. from the odd perspective of seeing it absolutely nose-to-nose. maybe not a great idea in waters with snapping turtles, gators, stonefish, etc.

I will opt out, with the risk of a shark taking a curious taster of me increasing to an unacceptable level. To me 2-3m is the least I will dive. I have experienced a lost buddy in less tan 1m viz and it was extremely unpleasant. Having said that I dived on Saturday through peas soup into 15m viz at depth so sometimes it is a call based on previous experience in the area.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom