Diving in Maryland?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wopazz

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm a fairly new diver and I just obtained my open water certification in November. I'm currently out of state for school and it's through my school that I was certified. I'm taking more certification courses in the fall so I'm not looking to take classes over the summer, I'm just interested in finding a place to do some diving and fill in my log book.

How do you find places to go diving in your area? I tried google but most of what comes up is just classes, or scuba trips to the tropics. Does anyone happen to know any good places to go diving in MD? Any help would be much appreciated!

Cheers!
~wopazz

No "nice" places that I know of unless you like fresh water quarry diving. Even the nicer fresh water sites are in Pennsylvania & Virginia. There is always Ocean City, but this summer will be my first experience diving out of OC so I can't comment.

Not much to see there (unless you really like wet rocks, but we spend a lot of the summer at Hyde's Quarry, wich is near Westminster, MD, between Baltimore and Frederick. Good place to get wet and work on skills, not exactly scenic! Amenities are...scarce. (Porta-potty and an old trailer to use as a changing room). No fills, no dive-shop. But, for $20/day you can escape the surface for a bit and fantasize you're someplace warm!

I would highly recommend you get to know a local dive shop. I am a customer of Aqua Ventures in Cockeysville, and we often grab a group of people and head out to a local venue on weekends or even take a day trip to OC to dive the Atlantic on OC Diver. Have the usual trips- we just got back from Cayman Brac, and in July 16-18 of us are headed to Bonaire. We also hit the usual quarries, Bainbridge and Dutch Springs, etc. Otherwise, the venues in Maryland, outside the coast, are slim. In the Fall and Winter there is Oyster diving on the Chesapeake which was a blast- cold but fun, with 18 of us.

A couple of summers ago I shore dived in Del., Md. & Va. in the bays. Don't do it. Best choice may be to check out charters out of O.C.

Where in MD do you live? Im from MD too and also away for school. There are a bunch of quarries that are within driving distance as other people had said and there is also ocean city which has charters, which was also said. But for more advanced dives there are two submarines in/near the Chesapeake Bay that are dive able I have never been to either since I don't have a boat, but one is supposed to be pretty interesting, the german one, and the american one is supposed to be really murky and hard to see. I think they are both around 120 ft and have strong currents at times. other people feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on those. But if you have a boat those would be cool to see. other people have put videos on youtube of these they are they s-49 and the u-1105.

I use Google Earth and turn on the Dive Spots Feature under Ocean Sports. There are two in MD listed.

Where in MD do you live? Im from MD too and also away for school. There are a bunch of quarries that are within driving distance as other people had said and there is also ocean city which has charters, which was also said. But for more advanced dives there are two submarines in/near the Chesapeake Bay that are dive able I have never been to either since I don't have a boat, but one is supposed to be pretty interesting, the german one, and the american one is supposed to be really murky and hard to see. I think they are both around 120 ft and have strong currents at times. other people feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on those. But if you have a boat those would be cool to see. other people have put videos on youtube of these they are they s-49 and the u-1105.
Both those subs are essentially zero-viz dives, as I understand it. I wouldn't recommend them unless you're very comfortable in "poor" conditions. Interesting, yes. For the feint of heart, no.

The diving in MD/DC/northern Virginia, is sparse. Your best bet is diving out of OC or doing quarries, unless you're willing to travel a bit further afield for your summer escapes. NC is only a long day trip away and has phenomenal wreck dives. If you don't mind cold, consider going north, also. The Atlantic coast has a lot to offer, but a lot of it isn't for us beginners. There is stuff out there for us, though, so check out the forums here (someone linked to mid-atlantic divers forum) and find out what you think you'd like to see... sharks, wrecks, coral, pretty fish, then plan accordingly.

If you want to do some dives, ping some of the local(ish) divers (like me) and see who can buddy up with you. I haven't found a lot of active clubs in the area, though I know there are a couple in Maryland (Rangers is one, I think). Ask at any of the ridiculous number of shops we have in the area and I'm sure you'll get some good info.

Having supported a DNR diver in the Chesapeake and having done oyster dives, 1-8 foot visibility is what I have encountered in the bay. I have been told it can be better, but I have yet to experience that.

OC, MD/DE/NJ has hundreds of wrecks, as well as numerous departures from ports off MD, Delaware and NJ, all able to be day trips if you are willing to leave at 4:00 in the morning. About MD/DE coastal dives. You may be only with the Captain, maybe a DM ON the boat in a few instances (those with more experience please chime in). Many currents (different currents at different levels), and visibility can vary a lot. I have done a dozen dives off the coast and have yet to have more than 30 feet, although I have heard of much greater. Even in summer, mid 50's temps. Now all these things, in a drysuit, I find exciting. But make sure they are for you. Lastly, they are long rides in smaller boats. My last visit was to the Washingtonian, and out of OC we were 16 miles north and 12 miles out- making for rather expensive charters.

Not trying to ward you off from Ocean diving off the mid-Atlantic, but it is not everyone's cup of soup. I happen to love it and the green water, and can't wait for the charter boats to return from drydocks or down south. But then again I love diving in MA and ME.

By the way, I try to dive at every opportunity, so feel free to email me if your headed out for a weekend dive.

Terry

Back
Top Bottom