Diving in Maryland?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The U-1105 (aka "Black Panther") wreck was designated as Maryland’s first historic shipwreck preserve in 1995. It is an interesting wreck since the original Alberich coating is still attached around the conning tower. This rubber coating was the first coating used on submarines to damp the reflection of acoustic waves in order to evade sonar detection. The Black Panther has a storied history as it was initially turned over to the British after the war in 1945 and then in 1946 it was turned over to the U.S. Navy. Finally in 1949 the U-1105 was purposely sunk in the Potomac River off of Piney Point (Saint Mary's County). She now has a permanent mooring denoting her location while she sits upright at a depth of 90' in an area that can be of limited visibility and strong currents. It is an advanced dive.

U1105092411.jpgU1105Mooringtrh092411.jpg

The U-1105 (aka "Black Panther") wreck was designated as Maryland’s first historic shipwreck preserve in 1995. It is an interesting wreck since the original Alberich coating is still attached around the conning tower. This rubber coating was the first coating used on submarines to damp the reflection of acoustic waves in order to evade sonar detection. The Black Panther has a storied history as it was initially turned over to the British after the war in 1945 and then in 1946 it was turned over to the U.S. Navy. Finally in 1949 the U-1105 was purposely sunk in the Potomac River off of Piney Point (Saint Mary's County). She now has a permanent mooring denoting her location while she sits upright at a depth of 90' in an area that can be of limited visibility and strong currents. It is an advanced dive.

They tried to make the mooring permanent, but the Potomac had a tendancy to tear it away in the winter (likely due to ice drifting down the river). I don't know if it has been hooked up for the summer yet. It is definately a fun/interesting dive. The vis is next to nothing - but that makes it fun. Only the conning tower and a 10-20 foot section of the bow was above the soot last summer. From my understanding, the best time to dive is at the end of low tide - when the downstream river current is eased by the tide beginning to come in. I'll definately dive it again.

OC, MD/DE/NJ has hundreds of wrecks,

Not trying to ward you off from Ocean diving off the mid-Atlantic, but it is not everyone's cup of soup. I happen to love it and the green water, and can't wait for the charter boats to return from drydocks or down south. But then again I love diving in MA and ME.

Terry[/QUOTE]

The color of the water is all about destination, time of year, and watching the tides. I have seen the botom on the A.Q. from the boat more than once. Seen 30' plus on the shoals. and frequently dive 60' vis late in the year off shore. Diving out of O.C. truly is at it's best, after labor day and before turkey day. Sans a busy hurricane season.
Eric

They tried to make the mooring permanent, but the Potomac had a tendancy to tear it away in the winter (likely due to ice drifting down the river). I don't know if it has been hooked up for the summer yet. It is definately a fun/interesting dive. The vis is next to nothing - but that makes it fun. Only the conning tower and a 10-20 foot section of the bow was above the soot last summer. From my understanding, the best time to dive is at the end of low tide - when the downstream river current is eased by the tide beginning to come in. I'll definately dive it again.

I went out with the group a couple of weeks ago that attached the buoy. It takes about six dives to get it done. Right now, you have to go down the buoy line to a concrete clump and follow another line about 70 feet over to the sub (and yes, near zero vis this time of year). I think that they are planning on attaching the dive ball to the conning tower this weekend, though. Tom Edwards at Woodbridge Scuba takes groups out.

Back
Top Bottom