Diving in Maui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba65

Contributor
Reaction score
:06: I might be going to Maui in April 06. now is there good diving there....what are the good places and is April a good time to see good stuff there? and what would be a good diver operator to use. thanks

Ed Robinson's diving is one of, if not the best operation their. Maui has some nice shore dives as well. We enjoyed the diving when we went in May, but it does not compare to the Caribbean. The water temp in May was mid 70's.

Maui has some great diving, both shore and boat dives. Where you'll dive really depends on where you're staying. I stay in Kihei when I go to Maui and there are some great shore dives in that area and it is a quick boat ride to Molokini as well.

If you're staying in West Maui, Lahaina or Kaanapali, there's evidently great shore dives up there though I have no experience shore diving up there. Lanai is a quicker boat ride from that area than from Kihei, and that has some great dives as well.

Have fun!

Brian

i'll be staying for a few days at the Grand Wailea Resort...then a few days at the Hyatt Kaanapali. Now do you know if there is any shark diving in these areas?

Scuba65:
i'll be staying for a few days at the Grand Wailea Resort...then a few days at the Hyatt Kaanapali. Now do you know if there is any shark diving in these areas?

The Grand Wailea is very close to some great shore dives.

Shark dives...Don't know of any shark dives, but Molokini is almost always good for white tips, grey reefs, the occasional Galapagos, whale sharks (3-4 times a year), and someone even got a picture of a great white there, though that is really rare.

If you want to do an actual shark dive, I think your only option is the Maui Ocean Center's shark tank dive. I did it and it was actually really cool.

Scuba65:
The Grand Wailea is just 5 minutes from the Kihei boat ramp. Ed Robinson's Dive Adventures, Mike Severn's Diving, B&B and some other good operators all depart from Kihei. Generally to Molokini for one dive, and then often to a dive somewhere along S. Maui coast. Whitetip sharks are often sighted at Molokini. Grey sharks are often sighted if you do the Enenui dive at Molokini. Neither is guaranteed ,though.

When at Kaanapali, I recommend Extended Horizons, who go to Lanai from the Mala ramp in Lahaina, which is less than 10 minutes from the Hyatt Kaanapali.

There is also plenty of shore diving near both places. Black Rock, in front of the Sheraton at the other end of the Kaanapali resort from the Hyatt is a really nice night dive.

Thanks all for all that information. I can't wait to go and i think i'll be going for sure.

We'll be back on Maui in April, '06 as well! Although it'll be a short trip (only 6 days...waaa!) we're looking forward to 4 solid days of diving. :D

If you can manage it, definitely do a charter (or 2) over to Lanai to dive the Cathedrals. If you're an experienced diver, also try to dive the backwall of Molokini. The inner crater is amazing in it's aquarium style diving (calm, clear water with loads of marine life), but the backwall is a first rate wall dive in clear blue water that assaults your senses when you drop in.

Scuba65 and DiveMe: when are your trips? I'm going to be there from April 13-29 and would love to hook up for some diving... I'll be staying at the Kihei Surfside (right next to the Kihei Boat Ramp).

Let me know...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom