Diving In Nuclear Reactors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did a couple of jobs as a free lance commercial Diver working In Nuc Plants. Working with spent fuel rods and stuff. It CAN be dangerious if you dont have the proper training. But for the most part it is very enjoyable, and very intresting.

Oh and by the way the money isn't as bad as you think, depending on the company you work for and if you are a freelance diver. I have some friends that make a full time living from Nuc plants and do very well for themselves

A very good friend of mine did this work a while back. He even worked on the clean up at the Henford Labs in Washington. He has a bunch of stories about the jobs. One is about when his suit leaked at the waist and he had to stand by the cooling pool totaly nude as two other guys shaved him from the nipples down. Must have been a sight to see as his nick name is "Link" as in missing link due to his heavy body hair.

The divers use Viking suits with helmets. Due to the water temp they were only able to work in the water 20 to 30 minutes twice a day or they were close to heat stroke.

To this day he keeps wrtin records of his exposure, including dental x-rays, and can tell you his lifetime dose.

Gilldiver:
A very good friend of mine did this work a while back. He even worked on the clean up at the Henford Labs in Washington. He has a bunch of stories about the jobs. One is about when his suit leaked at the waist and he had to stand by the cooling pool totaly nude as two other guys shaved him from the nipples down. Must have been a sight to see as his nick name is "Link" as in missing link due to his heavy body hair.

The divers use Viking suits with helmets. Due to the water temp they were only able to work in the water 20 to 30 minutes twice a day or they were close to heat stroke.

To this day he keeps wrtin records of his exposure, including dental x-rays, and can tell you his lifetime dose.

Why did he end up needing to be shaved? Do hair follicles pick up radioactive particulate that can't be washed off?

OK ...so this is not about diving in Nuclear Reactors, but the thread reminded me of an e-mail I got from a friend the other day

===================================================

Just another note from your bottom-dwelling brother. Last week I had a bad
day at the office. I know you've been feeling down lately at work, so I
thought I would share my dilemma with you to make you realize it's not so
bad after all. Before I can tell you what happened to me, I first must
bore you with a few technicalities of my job.

As you know, my office lies at the bottom of the sea. I wear a suit to the office.
It's a wetsuit. This time of year the water is quite cool. So what
we do to keep warm is this: We have a diesel powered industrial water
heater. This $20,000 piece of equipment sucks the water out of the sea. It
heats it to a delightful temperature. It then pumps it down to the diver
through a garden hose, which is taped to the air hose. Now this sounds
like a darn good plan, and I've used it several times with no complaints.
What I do, when I get to the bottom and start working, is take the hose
and stuff it down the back of my wetsuit. This floods my whole suit with
warm water. It's like working in a Jacuzzi.

Everything was going well until all of a sudden, my butt started to itch.
So, of course, I scratched it. This only made things worse. Within a few
seconds my butt started to burn. I pulled the hose out from my back, but
the damage was done. In agony I realized what had happened. The hot water machine had sucked up a jellyfish and pumped it into my suit. Now, since I
don't have any hair on my back, the jellyfish couldn't stick to it.
However, the crack of my butt was not as fortunate. When I scratched what
I thought was an itch, I was actually grinding the jellyfish into the
crack of my butt.

I informed the dive supervisor of my dilemma over the communicator. His
instructions were unclear due to the fact that he, along with five other
divers, were all laughing hysterically.

Needless to say I aborted the dive. I was instructed to make three
agonizing in-water decompression stops totaling thirty-five minutes before
I could reach the surface to begin my chamber dry decompression. When I
arrived at the surface, I was wearing nothing but my brass helmet. As I
climbed out of the water, the medic, with tears of laughter running down
his face, handed me a tube of cream and told me to rub it on my butt as
soon as I got in the chamber. The cream put the fire out, but I couldn't
poop for two days because my butt was swollen shut.

So, next time you're having a bad day at work, think about how much worse
it would be if you had a jellyfish shoved up your butt. Now repeat to
yourself, "I love my job, I love my job, I love my job." Now whenever you
have a bad day, ask yourself, is this a jellyfish bad day?

hahahahahahahahaha

Boy oh Boy 30 grand a year and $55 dollar a day living expenses to dip myself in nuclear soup....where do i sign??

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3: HaHaHa That's hilarious Footslogger.

rbolander:
Why did he end up needing to be shaved? Do hair follicles pick up radioactive particulate that can't be washed off?

That's what happened, the hair absorbes the isotopes, so the only way to get rid of it all is to have all the contaminated hair shaved off.

Somewhere is some low level nuke waste dump is the hair shaved off his berries and butt.

What I would love to get are some of the dry suits and helmets. Anything that enters the containment goes to the low level waste dump. Lets see, brand new Viking suits with less then 50 dives, a few supper lite 17's or 27's, umbilical hose. The list goes on and on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom