diving in san juan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

whyzitsokold

Registered
Reaction score
:14: My wife and are going on a trip to Puerto Rico in April and we would like to do some diving. She doesnt have an certification and I haven't used mine for 10 years. Caribe Aquatic Adventures (www.divegide.com) says they will do a 30 minute crash course lecture and then another 30 minutes in shallow water then off to the corals. We will dive from the shore and head out to sea for an hour dive to 35 feet.

I'm thinking this is may be too good to be true. I'm thinking that it will take 20 minutes to swim to the coral and 20 minutes back with about 10 minutes looking at anything interesting and it'll probably be merky.

My first and only dive has been in the florida keys off a boat. One nice coral dive, and another lame dive to see nothing but sand.

Any advice? This aquatic adventures is about North of the fort in san juan just north of sju airport, or at least that is where our hotel is and they said they are next door.

PS We are willing to rent a car to travel and spend a day doing a couple of dives.

thanks in advance.

Dive sites in San Juan are limited...most Dive shops and instructors will do shore-dives in the Escambron beach next to the Normandie and Caribe Hilton Hotels. Th problem with Escambron is that the water is a bit turbulent and visibility is usualy not more that 8-10 feet... but it goes down to about 30-35 feet. If your looking for a shore-dive that is not to far away from the metropolitan area but with a lot nice reef consider Cerro Gordo beach in the town of Dorado, about 20 minutes west of the city. I was there yesturday and did a really nice 45 minute 27 ft dive around the reaf, visibility was good for a shore-dive at about 20-25 feet.
You might want to consider calling my instructor he is a freelancer not associated with any dive shop, his name is Harry Hauk 787-780-2497, former navy frog man and NAUI instructor, I understand he does the "crash course" thing for such occations as yours, let him know I sent you... also the dive shop I go to is La Casa del Buzo www.lacasadelbuzo.com that could be another option to see what they offer.

Good luck!
-Francisco vbmenu_register("postmenu_2755478", true);

One more plug for Culebra. Catch the ferry over for $2.50 and some awsome diving. Id recomend you both take OW rather than depend on a "crash" course.

Yea, if your willing to get out of the metro area, do consider culebra (east of PR), desecheo (west), la parguera (south), and many other dive sites that must be reached by boat, but are very much worth it.

My wife and I are going to PR in July, and someone recommended Sea Ventures in Palmas del Mar resort on SE coast. The website looks nice, but I have bad experiences at places with nice websites. They said diving was much better that Fajarda area (and they go to culebra!!??). I just wondered if anyone has had any experience with them?
As for resort course, we both started that way, but did not know all the trouble you could get into if everything does not go perfectly. I would recommend it only for easy diving locations!!

I have a wedding this weekend in Fajardo and I was planning on calling Sea Ventures for a dive this Sunday out of their Fajardo location, I'll let you know how it goes.

fjsala:
Dive sites in San Juan are limited...most Dive shops and instructors will do shore-dives in the Escambron beach next to the Normandie and Caribe Hilton Hotels. Th problem with Escambron is that the water is a bit turbulent and visibility is usualy not more that 8-10 feet... but it goes down to about 30-35 feet. If your looking for a shore-dive that is not to far away from the metropolitan area but with a lot nice reef consider Cerro Gordo beach in the town of Dorado, about 20 minutes west of the city. I was there yesturday and did a really nice 45 minute 27 ft dive around the reaf, visibility was good for a shore-dive at about 20-25 feet.
You might want to consider calling my instructor he is a freelancer not associated with any dive shop, his name is Harry Hauk 787-780-2497, former navy frog man and NAUI instructor, I understand he does the "crash course" thing for such occations as yours, let him know I sent you... also the dive shop I go to is La Casa del Buzo www.lacasadelbuzo.com that could be another option to see what they offer.

Good luck!
-Francisco vbmenu_register("postmenu_2755478", true);

Wow! There is I name I don't here every day. I did my basic certification with Harry HauK in 1971. I also did my advance and assisted him with classes back in the early 70's.
I also worked at Divers Service Center (in calle Dalmacia, Puerto Nuevo) from 1971 through most of the 70's. Harry was loosely affiliated with DSC.

I didn't know he was still teaching, but I did happen to talk to Alberto Umpierre (owner of DSC) just a couple of month ago and he did tell me that Harry was doing fine. I haven't been in touch with most of my diving friends in PR in over 20 years.

Sorry, I don't mean to hijack the thread, but this is a great surprise. I think it is about time I go back to PR to go diving.

Even do I did a ton of diving in PR as a kid, I am probably not the best to give any advise about diving in PR at this point. A few things have changed since the 70's.

Well I coudn't do the dive off of Fajardo do to bad weather conditions.

Luis, Harryis doing well and still teaching. We meat-up once in a while. I also know Alberto since his shop is across the street from my business.

fjsala:
I have a wedding this weekend in Fajardo and I was planning on calling Sea Ventures for a dive this Sunday out of their Fajardo location, I'll let you know how it goes.
I'm heading to PR this Tuesday (March 27) and have dive reservations with Sea Ventures for Wednesday (March 28), Thursday (March 29) and then a private charter to Vieques on Sunday (April 01). All of these dives are out of Palmas Del Mar so I should be able to report back upon my return. So far they have been wonderful to deal with so I am hopeful that their operation runs as smoothly!

Looking forward to your report.
Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom