Diving in South Carolina/North Carolina

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Swamp Rat,
I know well the hydro generation water in the Cooper River. It came down the river one day like a wall of water when they started the turbines. It can creat an ebb tide even though there should be an in bound current. When there is an out bound curent and the power plant is in full swing it is Thunder River and we head for the East branch of the Cooper to get away from the two sources of current so we can just deal with one. It is also a good time to try to dive places where there is never enough current in the main branch. Lately NOAA has made some real bad mistakes with the tide changes and Mother Nature has been bad about not following NOAA's tide charts. We have a trip planned at the end of this month August 24-27 and I hope for the best on the charts.

I've been looking at ice hammers so when they decide to hit the power button. I havent found anything in a price I want to pay. Right now I use a pair of star screw drivers they work pretty good holding me in place. And by using two I can work my way out.

Hi Swamp Rat,
The screw drivers are okay to use in the river. A guy by the name of Mike developed a great tool that looks like a screw driver but has some impact. It consists of a 5" piece of brass stock that is 1-1 1/2" in diameter and you drill a hole into the bottom of it and run a piece of stainless steel rod into it and braise it in place or put a bend in the top part and drive it into the handle for a tight fit. Next you drill a hole through the top part of the handle and put a "DRing" in there to attach two layards on. Last you need to put a Blunt Point Tip on the end of the spike that will not harm you or the equipment it makes contact with by bumping. The power of the brass weight under water drives the pick into even the hardest clay terrain and the layards give a good attachment point for you. By using the brass to do the driving to set the pick you save energy and stress on your arm and hand for the real purpose that you are there for, Fossils and Artifacts. Give it a try, I know once you have driven one of these in the river you will never go back to screw divers again. Have good luck diving the river, we are still planning this next trip and look forward to it.

Samsliquidblue....
Do you have GPS coordinates for the old powerhouse??
I dove the hot hole last weekend, for the first time...temp was 87 very nice....thanks

Hi Bobb,
The Pump House can be located by a depth finder, I do not have GPS coordinates to the dive site.
Start in South Cove County Park in Seneca, SC by driving into the park and across the dam half way up the camping area on that pennisula, stop and look across the lake for the New water intake tower for the Purification Plant. You will see the Marina to the left and then to the right you can see the tower on the shore line. Launch from one of the boat ramps there and head toward the new water intake for the new purification plant. In a line running from the water intake going toward the marina you will see the depth jump from 75-80 to 50-55 instantly. This will be the top of the Pumphouse. You may also see two buckets that should be visable 5-10 feet under the surface. These can be used to moor to inorder that you need a decent line. The lowest point of the Pumphouse lies in 80 feet of water, the building is about 30 feet tall. This dive is one that calls for lights and buddies as the vis is dark and green on this section of the lake. Penetration is possible if correct proceedure is taken for over head and silt out. Bubbles can dislodge over head silt and bouancy plus the modified kick are terribly important around or in this stucture. It is wreck diving skills that are needed to proceed here. Good luck on the dive. Some of the park employees can point to the area from the pennisula where they see the divers go in. This may be of help in the inital search for the area in which to use the depth finder.
Love Liquid Blue, Samantha

Yea, I bet fairies put those buckets there also. Just like the tail about the Junk.
Yea I have found some fault with the screwdrivers. There is more than one spot down there that has two long parallel scrapes on the hard clay.
Saw a couple of dive groups out on the river Saturday. One tri hull pontoon and one that was run by Charleston Scuba. I stop and asked how they did and one guy said he got a tooth that was 5-1/2". But did not comment on the quality.

Hi Swamp Rat,
We all have to believe that the one fairy and four elves placed the buckets on the great dive sites that are in Jocassee and Keowee. It is the whole truth and nothing but the truth. The fairy led the elves to get the great dive sites known in the area. If it wasn't for this group of divers know to the inner circle we would not have this much fun now.

Yea I was a little worried about a guy in speedo talking about a fairies putting those things there. I'm glad to see the ranks have choosen to be elves.:D I know a lot of people are thankful for the fairy and his elves.
In the cooper Sat. I dove off of Strawberry Landing and someone had cut the rope for the trail. Kind of tick me off. But the stakes and some of the ropes had come up maybe they thought it was a hassard???

Hi Swamp Rat,
We are headed to your section of the river on the 24-27 of August. If you are interested get in touch. There is a place on the boat on Friday and one left on Saturday. We only take 6 out all day and there is time for 4 dives each one hour long. We will be working the river south of the Railroad Tressel and be launching from the Cypress Landing by 8:00am and back in by 5:00pm. For more information check with wnrouth@carol.net Or just come by and meet us before we go out or when we come back in from the day on the river. We can be hailed "Off The Wall" on the marine radio and will move to channel 72 for conversation. We will be glad to see or meet you down there.
The tides are the best on Friday and Saturday from the NOAA schedule. Lets hope Mother Nature and the Power Company abide on this trip for us. We may still dive the East Branch on a new bed that was found on the last trip there. Other wise we will be in the main river channel working the productive beds down to Red Banks and back.

Bobb, Try the ocean, lakes and rivers are lame.. NC / SC has some great advanced and beginner diving right in carolina beach, and charleston and myrtle beach.. look up capefeardivers, coastal scuba and chaleston scuba.. Why deal with the cold water and below par viz.. And most of the times thermoclines.. once in the ocean always in the ocean.. two tank dives run in the 80-90 dollar range and should be easy for a day trip..would you rather see a cat fish or a shark.. it a no brainer...just got back cozumel but still love wreck diving.es

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom