Diving in the 60's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I will take what passed for harassment dives any day over this kind of childishness.

"Childishness" is a kind term.

The PADI course talks about signs of panic. It lists a bunch, including equipment rejection. A diver may throw away a regulator and shove the mask off the face. If you see a diver riding high on the surface, struggling frantically, with eyes wide open in panic, the regulator tossed aside, and the mask sitting askew on the forehead, barely on, you should probably conclude that the diver is in panic. You take all the clues together as a whole. If you see a diver resting comfortably on the surface, chatting amiably with a friend, with the mask resting comfortably on the forehead, only a true imbecile would take that single cue as a sign of panic. Unfortunately, we do have imbeciles among us.

If I'm floating in the water chatting with my buddy with my mask on my forehead, I am exhibiting no signs of distress. I exhibited GREAT distress during training. When I calmed down, I had to swim most of the pool to go retrieve the mask I had thrown off my face in an attempt to breathe. Neatly on the forehead? No way.
I only wear my mask on forehead while on the boat or shore. When I am in the water, including surface, both mask & reg are in place to use. One surprise wave in the face can quickly lead to choking & lost mask.

Last edited:
I enlarged the woman's mask from the Coke ad and then began an on-line search for that model.

View attachment 199757
No luck so far, but that is because I got so distracted during the search. These types of mask/snorkel combos go back a long way:
View attachment 199758
View attachment 199759
The one above appeared on Scubaboard a few years back.

View attachment 199760
It seems that it took a few years before the designers of these things figured out that you didn't need to put the snorkel smack-dab in the middle. Must have been very distracting. Eventually, they refined the concept and diminished the number of cross-eyed divers they were creating.

View attachment 199761
After a while, they went to twin snorkels:
View attachment 199762
Below is the Dutch Princess Irene wearing one:

View attachment 199763
They got to be pretty popular:
View attachment 199764

Even Sandra Dee wore one in her movie "Gidget."

View attachment 199765

I found an example of this Riviera Cannes model:

View attachment 199766
And then realized I once owned a 1950s Riviera Monaco model:

View attachment 199770

I loaned it to a girl at the country club and she laid it down on the concrete edge of the pool and the convex, amber plastic surface got too scratched up to use anymore. I gave it to my little brother.

Anyway, it looks like they are still trying to perfect the mask/snorkel combo idea. Here is one that is currently on the market:

View attachment 199771

And below is a REAL Mickey-Mouse swim mask:

View attachment 199772
Wow! you really did some research!
Thanks for all that, pretty cool.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom