Diving Key Largo with Rainbow Reef Dive Center

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drrich2,

From the OP it seems like it was a lot of wreck diving. It that true?

Kharon- we just got back from our second Key Largo trip with Rainbow Reef- there can be a lot of wreck diving if that is what you want, however, most of the dive sites are reef sites with excellent diving. There is the Benwood, Duane, and Spiegel Grove for wreck diving but all the other sites are reef. Duane and Spiegel require AOW certification but the Benwood is shallow enough for just open water.

Kharon:

When I went, the mornings there was a choice of 2 boats; one headed to the reefs (relatively shallow diving), one headed to the deep wrecks (e.g.: Spiegel Grove, Duane, Bibb). If you wanted to go on the deep boat in the morning, you needed AOW. 2 Guys got on the boat without it, and the Captain was willing to look at their log books, but they didn't have them, so they didn't get to do those dives. I dove the Spiegel Grove maybe 3 times and the Duane once.

The Benwood I'd call more 'wreckage' than 'wreck.' It was shallow enough to be deemed a navigation hazard & has been deliberately destroyed. Still neat, but think of it more as wreckage on a reef, rather than an enormous intact wreck.

Richard.

There are a couple other shallow wrecks (or wreckage) such as Mike's Wreck and City of Washington. The deep wrecks are the intact ones and more representative of what most divers would call wreck dives. One other deep wreck that Richard didn't mention is the Eagle.

Informative report thanks for sharing!

I like the option of 2 boats for the non Advanced among us so you can still get 4 tanks in a day.

Mike

Also like the 2 boat idea. Even though I've got Solo (includes deep, AOW, etc) I have no interest in wrecks. Great to have the reef option. Going to seriously consider this option for this late fall/early winter.

I like the option of 2 boats for the non Advanced among us so you can still get 4 tanks in a day.

Mike

One Caveat Mike: We did 4 dives on two days of our 5 days of diving with Rainbow Reef, but to do this you need to plan ahead. The boat from the morning dive usually returns to the dock around noon or a few minutes thereafter and check in time for the second dive is 12:30 with the boat leaving the dock at 1:00. Doesn't leave a lot of time for lunch, potty break, etc. We usually pack a couple of sandwiches and a drink leaving it in the vehicle in an ice chest, but there is a service station next door that has hot dogs, sandwiches, etc. which the boat crew seems to take advantage of on a regular basis. :coffee:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom