Diving Lauderdale By The Sea (video)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Very nice video. I too think that is a yellow stingray, and I am a marine biologist (retired fishery biologist, actually)! How dependable is the diving/snorkeling at this spot? I've heard so much about it that I would like to visit sometime. I'm sure it's best June through August. What are the odds it's diveable in October assuming no hurricanes are roaming around?

Dave, it's diveable year round, but it is of course very weather dependent. I generally keep a constant eye on the marine forecast, and then the day before I head down I give Steve at Gold Coast Scuba a call and see what kind of VIS they are having. Alternatively, I call the Boca beach report, it's north of LBTS, but you can get an idea of what VIS will be like. Basically if the Boca report says vis is poor, then it will be fair at LBTS, if Boca says it's fair, then it will be good at LBTS, etc...

Since, I am driving from Orlando (3 hours), I like to make sure the VIS will be acceptable before making the trek.

Gold Coast Scuba - (954) 616-5909

Boca Beach Report - (561) 393-7989

Nice Video, thanks for sharing.......I'm heading over from Port Charlotte on Sunday as part of my Dive Con Class.... The owner/instructor of Depthfinder's is taking an OW class over and I'll be working with them. How's the Viz been recently.

Very nice video. I too think that is a yellow stingray, and I am a marine biologist (retired fishery biologist, actually)! How dependable is the diving/snorkeling at this spot? I've heard so much about it that I would like to visit sometime. I'm sure it's best June through August. What are the odds it's diveable in October assuming no hurricanes are roaming around?

That is a yellow stingray (Urobatis jamaicensis). I think I got nailed by one up in the Banana River near Cape Canaveral a few weeks ago - never saw the culprit, but judging from the hole in my boot it was small (baby southern ray would be the other possibility). Saw what I think was a pregnant female between Jupiter and Stuart on Friday.

I'm generally in for the boat dives up that way, but I've been keeping LBTS and Blue Heron Bridge in mind for friends of mine that need refresher dives.

Windjammer - Lauderdale-By-The-Sea Beach Cam The flatter the seas in this webcam view, the more likely the diving will be decent - in my somewhat limited experience.

Able to get in 3 dives ( 2 tanks) and helped bring 2 new divers into the under(water) world by completing their OW dives.... We went in just after high tide, viz was about 18-20 feet and a slight current south. took my Go Pro on a maiden voyage and got some fairly decent pics, need a red filter for true colors. Saw a 3-4 ft nurse shark tucked into the coral sleeping. :) All in all a great day!!!!

Sounds like a good dive wildbill. North current would have helped you out on the vis, but still 18-20 is not bad at all. I dove jupiter this past weekend and we were seeing 25-30' vis in the 60-80' range.

Thanks to all for the info and updates. I dove Lbts about 6 years ago and I'm planning to head back over next weekend to give it another shot. I'm glad acteg posted that the north reef is sand covered now, I think I was norton the pier last time. I will call and checkon viz as suggested as I am about 2.5 hours away.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom