Diving Log

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Long ago, I created my own pages from scratch, then printed off a stack of them. Now, I use an Excel spreadsheet. There are apps for most computer platforms, from cell phones on up. Paper can be lost.

What you use depends on what you want to remember.

Also to get your divemaster you need a certain amount of dives logged...solo dives dont count...I didnt log my first few years (thought it was like a diary) but now i log all dives and enjoy it later. I log lobster spots for hunting, the fish I bring home,i log the trash lthat I find and bring back and I try to log verbal maps of new spots. To each his own....

Who told you solo dives don't count?

Does anyone know of an online / iOS Dive Log? Books seem so old fashioned! :wink:

There is heaps of computer based log programs! Macdive, DiveLog, are the ones that pop to mind immediately. I did come across a web based one but google would as always be your friend.

I would count solo dives.

Trend is definitely going to electronic regarding dive logs.

I use the paper SDI dive logs. I think around $15 US. May eventually use electronic to accompany.

I think the only reason to keep a paper log versus electronic is nostagia. I suspect few paper logs will be maintained 5-10 years from now as most divers, and almost all newer divers will have converted to electronic. Electronic logs can do everything a paper log can and more, except for collecting original signatures and stamps.

Thanks for all the input! I guess i need to order new log book, anyone have a brand suggestion?

There's no need for a special book. Any sort of binder will do. It can range from simple notes to an elaborate spreadsheet that you print form time to time. You can even carry it around in electronic form though a self evident non volatile copy is always nice.

I used to have a nice spread sheet but got out of that habit. Now each dive goes on a 3X3 post-it note with standard information. 6 notes per side of paper and into a page protector. Not elegant but it works. Be creative but don't shell out for a prepared log.

Pete

There's no need for a special book. Any sort of binder will do. It can range from simple notes to an elaborate spreadsheet that you print form time to time. You can even carry it around in electronic form though a self evident non volatile copy is always nice.

I used to have a nice spread sheet but got out of that habit. Now each dive goes on a 3X3 post-it note with standard information. 6 notes per side of paper and into a page protector. Not elegant but it works. Be creative but don't shell out for a prepared log.

Pete
+1 to what Pete wrote.

No need to buy an expensive scuba divelog book that costs $20-$30. Save that money for gas fills, necessary dive gear, training, and dive vacations.
The options you have are limited only by your imagination: a small 3-ring binder with your own customized pages, Excel spreadsheet, Email, GoogleVoice transcripts, scribbling on the back of a cocktail napkin and taking a photo of it with your phone camera, etc.
Your divelog is primarily for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom