Diving manners?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Al Mialkovsky:
It's our fault? We have them for a couple of days and years later it's our fault? :)

It is not the Instructors fault. This issue is clearly covered in class and in books. It is carelessness of the diver. If I see someone damaging the reef I bring it to their attention. If it is friends that are diving with me I bring it to their attention and if they do not correct I swim over and physically move them into the proper position (for my friends that are new divers I adjust their bouyancy) LOL

Al Mialkovsky:
It's our fault? We have them for a couple of days and years later it's our fault? :)

I paid very close attention in OW class, I tried to do everything my instructor wanted me to. And I passed and did quite a few more dives with my instructor while he was teaching other classes, did a couple more classes with him, etc.

Then I found SB, and I learned about proper weighting & trim, & learned that there was such a thing as adjusting bouyancy with breathing, & quite a few other things that would take too long to mention. I remember ziptieing weights to my shoulder straps trying to get my trim right. lol.

Maybe you DO try to teach your students proper diving, but many others don't. It isn't ALL the instructor's fault, the very nature of the marketplace & competition is at the root of the problem, but I can say with certainty that if I had been properly trimmed in my OW course, I would have noticed the change if I screwed up my trim later on. The same could be said for weighting, although newer divers seem to need more weight because they are less comfortable in water so don't fully exhale.

Anyhow, you are probably one of the better instructors, just don't make excuses for the ones who are not.

I just want to add something to this discussion. Its not always buyancy that is causing the problem. I thought that initially too and watched to see if they sank when they weren't moving and that wasn't it. Granted, I have seen people with bad buyancy flounder around and kick the coral, but the ones I am talking about just don't fricking know how to swim.

I think they want to look forward instead of looking down, thats why they look like they are riding a bicycle, they have their heads up facing forward instead of looking down. I swear I don't think I ever saw anyone do this on my first few dive trips, but my last few I have seen several of them, or maybe I just notice it more now because I don't have to think as much when diving as I used to...

Dion :)

UnixSage:
Please enlighten us (or maybe just me).. What is the "correct" way? So I do not have a blazing sign "IDIOT" on my forehead.

Thanks
what... and rob PADI the oportunity of selling you a specality.
LSL

Watch where your going! There is no excuse to be running into someone. Tons of empty reef around. I'm little ways away from the large group and I have some one running into me from behind, coming down on top of me, hitting me from the bottom.

Go around me, don't try to go through me!

Mike Veitch:
Sorry but i agree with Iruka on this.

Mike,
Nothing in your post disagrees with my statements. The concept is the same regardless if you are properly weighted or overweighted. If you are sinking, add some air. If you are rising, let some out.

However, after reviewing this thread, I agree with you guys. Maintaing neutral buoyancy is more work and/or more difficult if you're overweighted. I've been there and just never noticed that it was any more difficult.

on to your normal debates...

NWGratefulDiver:
Then I suggest you go back to your Basic Open Water text and read the section where they cover Boyle's Law.

I understand Boyle's law. I get your point and now better understand what you are saying, and agree. From a simplistic 2-rule position: "Sinking, add air" and "Rising, remove air." That doesn't change, but you have to do it more often if you are overweighted.

Good explanation. Thank you.

But is it really that much more difficult? I suppose it is if you aren't maintaining awareness. I have been on several dives when I was overweighted or underweighted (like trying a new suit) and aside from the initial descent while underweighted, I didn't think it was any more difficult to stay neutral. Maybe it was more work, but I didn't notice. Maybe that's just me and I don't mind.

To the people who suggest a friendly approach to helping divers stop walking on the corals, kudos to you.

bgi:
I understand Boyle's law. I get your point and now better understand what you are saying, and agree. From a simplistic 2-rule position: "Sinking, add air" and "Rising, remove air." That doesn't change, but you have to do it more often if you are overweighted.

Good explanation. Thank you.

But is it really that much more difficult? I suppose it is if you aren't maintaining awareness. I have been on several dives when I was overweighted or underweighted (like trying a new suit) and aside from the initial descent while underweighted, I didn't think it was any more difficult to stay neutral. Maybe it was more work, but I didn't notice. Maybe that's just me and I don't mind.

To the people who suggest a friendly approach to helping divers stop walking on the corals, kudos to you.

When I "finally" discovered my proper weighting it was "then" that I discovered just how hard I had been working. With too much weight I was always struggling with buoyancy and constantly adjusting. With "just enough", it was effortless. The "less" air I put in my BC meant more air for my lungs which "greatly" improved air consumption and bottom time. Instead of putting air in my BC to get over something, I use my "lungs to get over it. "No" instructor can teach you how to do that with the small amount of time they're alotted to teach. Yes, they did tell us about it in OW class, but I had to "learn" how to do it with time in the water.

It was during that learning faze that someone took the time to tell me that my trim was off and that my legs were hanging. He suggested positioning the tank higher to shift the weight up and that did the trick.

Oh yeah, my pet peve is finding someone parked at "my" tank station with "their" gear.

Dion:
...but maybe warning them that this behavior might one day result in their air being turned off by a fellow diver might give them an incentive to avoid it. :155:

Dion:
...You have no idea how tempted I was to grab a hose and yank!!

I notice Dion is on the boat too. ::whistling:: I quietly grab my dive bag and ever so slowly walk backwards off the boat.

You seem to be harboring a lot of hmmm frustration Dion. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom