Diving Maui and The Road to Hana

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do the volcano sunrise/sunset thing before you dive too! Or are you doing that while horseback riding also?

I wasn't as excited about the catherdrals as I thought I would have been. I would prefer doing the backwall several times instead.

I wasn't impressed by the Maui Dive Shop's crew that goes over to Lanai. It seemed they worked harder at talking you out of a tip than actually showing you a great dive. They couldn't find the second location which was sargeant Major so they just winged it.

I agree Al, my preference is definitely Molokini (backside), but I'm glad we went to Lanai and would certainly recommend a trip there. Molokini Backside although, is tough to beat. I've probably done it 20 times and I look forward to doing that dive again every year, especially in February...Something about 150' of vis, a sheer wall, and humpbacks so loud you keep looking behind you.

All holes and lotsa sharp lava rock. I did a survival test on a rental car on that road and the Haliakala volcano trip. Melted the plastic hubcaps off the thing from braking down the grade and avoiding the bicycle downhillers. I was warned that sharks seem to inhabit the coastline along the Hana road. There is plenty of better diving at Molokini or Lani. Check with the boat operators. Awesome diving.

Since you guys are giving me such great advice. (Much appreciated, by the way.) Here is a new question for you.

Our diving to date has been exclusively in the Caribbean. What is the standard for tipping dive masters and/or boat captains in Hawaii? I realize that Tipping is, in fact, not a city in China, so I want to be fair. Thanks. (Hawaiian Dive Masters and boat captains need not reply. :wink: )

We generally tip 10 bucks per diver ourselves.

While there you might consider hiring a dive leader to take you on a couple of shore dives that are difficult to access, such as 5 graves/5 caves. A dive inside of the bubble cave is a blast.

Hey Al. We were reading about the bubble cave and the 5 graves/5 caves in a book that we have. It sounded good. Can we do those dives in the afternoon after a couple of boat dives? Can you (or anyone else) recommend a good shop to work with on gear and a guide for those dives? Many of the boat dive operators that we're leaning toward booking with don't appear to offer guided shore dives. Thanks again.

changinlat:
Hey Al. We were reading about the bubble cave and the 5 graves/5 caves in a book that we have. It sounded good. Can we do those dives in the afternoon after a couple of boat dives? Can you (or anyone else) recommend a good shop to work with on gear and a guide for those dives? Many of the boat dive operators that we're leaning toward booking with don't appear to offer guided shore dives. Thanks again.
B&B scuba has good personal and decent rental gear for reasonable prices.

I have dove the caves a few times after a morning boat trip. In fact if you dive with B&B scuba in the morning you'll be back at the dock before 10am since they're the first boat to leave the dock in the morning so you could dive the caves before lunch even. They offer guided shore trips including night dives.

The locals will tell you that you need to dive in the morning due to the surf and swells. While the entry/egress is definitely a little more challenging in the afternoon, it's not a big deal. I wouldn't attempt to enter and exit 5 Graves on the side by the Graves in the afternoon unless there was no swells. It's a rough, sharp lava/rocky entry that would be pretty dangerous to attempt with any kind of surge or waves. Entering on the Makena Landing side (about .1 mile further than the Graves) is no problem at all as it's a sandy beach area.

It all depends on your experience with shore diving. We didn't have any problems diving in the afternoon at all, but we also do a lot of shore diving in Puget Sound in rough waters. I'd go to the site and assess the situation and decide for yourself.

As was brought up in earlier replies Maui Dreams Dive Company is a great shop in Kihei. They only do shore dives and the staff have very detailed knowledge about the local shore dives. I'm not sure you'll get them to take you out in the afternoon though as it almost seems taboo to any shop there to do shore dives in the afternoon.

We were in Wailea/Kihei over a month ago and spent two days diving with Mike Severns. We dove the back wall of Molokini and it was amazing. Would do that dive again without question. Will have to go back when the humpbacks are around.

If you're interested in photography and interested in marine life, I would recommend Mike Severns. Very thorough in their briefing of the marine biology and what to look out for. And they were very aware of people with cameras and were interested in taking pictures.

With regards to Molokini, I would make sure that your boat is one of the first to leave the docks. There are only a few mooring spots in the prime locations, so you don't want to be left out. With that said, ProDiver was always the first boat in the water. Mike Severns left a little later, and then Ed Robinson's. Afterwards would be Maui Dive Shop and then others I wasn't paying attention to.

As for the road to Hana, we have done it twice. It really is an all day affair, especially if you like to stop and hike to the hidden waterfalls. Near Hana, one of the more accesible waterfalls that's a must see is the Blue Pool. If you decide to take a swim, be forewarned that the water is cold!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom