Diving Maui and The Road to Hana

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you stay in hana, you will have the 7 pools to yourself in teh morning before all the crowds arrive around lunchtime. It's blissful being the only ones there.

Just don't go swimming with your rental car keys in your pocket.

Don't ask. Just don't do it.

Avis take about 5 hours to get someone from the AAA down to Hana with a spare key. It's cold when it starts rainging there, and all your dry stuff is in your car.

Well worth the drive though.

J.

Seeing as it's already been seconded, I would call for the question: "Is there anyone who *wouldn't* recommend Ed Robinson's Diving Adventures or Maui Dreams Dive Co.?"

I know from experience they are both great dive ops... excellent people and more interested in going diving than making a quick buck.

As the ERDA captain or divemaster says as they're approaching the boat ramp at the end of the dive, "Thanks for taking us diving" -- they mean it, too!

Maui Dreams also has a buddy book, so if you're looking for a local that might know the reef a bit better, you could talk to them about that, or hire the MDDC divemaster for a guided shore dive.

I was just there in May, so if you want any specific tips/suggestions, drop me a line!

If you really want to go to Lanai, I would encourage you to try Lahaina Divers --they have a large comfy boat, and they know the Lanai sites well. The crossing is much easier from Lahaina. However, I agree with what has already been said -- I'd just as soon dive Molokini as Lanai -- it's much more of a guarenteed good dive. For Molokini, I'd recommend B&B Scuba or Ed Robinson's.

In terms of the Bubble Cave, Maui Dreams Dive Co would certainly have a guide to take you there, but book in advance, they do fill up sometimes. While you could go in the afternoon... it does get surgy... and the Bubble Cave is in very shallow water and is really susceptible to surging... so an afternoon dive there is not the best idea.

Enjoy your trip.

I do the bubble cave in the morning. It's usually flat and pristine [:)]

I just came back from Maui and did 3 trips (6 dives) with extended horizons. Great outfit! We did 2nd Cathedral twice, Knob Hill, Wash Rock and of course the AMAZING 1st Cathedral. You HAVE to do the cathedrals! Period! We left from the "Mala Ramp"....no crowds and good parking...a shower and bathrooms too!

Awesome!

By the way if your gonna do the Molokini Crater or the Makena side I would highly recomend Ed Robbinson We did 12 dives with them and they are fantastic!

Congratulations to you both!!!

As for the drive to Hana - the only way you would leave sea level is if you choose to drive around the backside on your return trip home (I like it for the variety and highly recommend it - but rental company's don't like their cars going back there) the elevation peaks out at about 2500 feet as you come into Ulupalakua. If you can do it the drive is much easier on the stomach (much straighter roads) Whatever you do - don't try driving out around sunset (it's plays havock on your eyes and makes the road very difficult to see no matter which direction you drive back) and don't drive the backside after dark (lots of cattle on the dark roads that cannot be seen - trust me - it's a spooky drive at night on the backside.
Also enjoy the drive at slow pace (the speed limit for much of it is 15 mph) but pull over any time someone gets on your tail as a lot of people commute this road daily and just want to get home (and drive it at 40mph) I myself have commuted it in the past regularly - but now only drive it about 4-6 times per year. If you are not diving plan on 10 hours to go and come back at least (it usually takes me 3 hours to drive to Hana from Lahaina with no sightseeing)

The traffic going out is usually lighter if you leave Kahului about 10:30 (you miss the morning and lunch traffic both) early morning you drive into all the commuters going to work and later morning is all the tourist traffic going to Hana (better than the oncoming work traffic in the early morning though) If you return the same way you went out - it is often easiest after dark as you can see oncoming headlights much easier than driving with the sun in your eyes.

Don't expect Waterfalls unless it is raining - if it is raining -you will see LOTS of waterfalls (and get wet - but don't worry, it's warm rain)

There are advantages to driving it yourself and there are advantages to taking a tour - both are fun. I prefer going at my own pace, stopping wherever I want.

Fill up the tank with gas as you will only pass two gas stations during most of the day (and just so you know - gas is currently $2.62/gal on Maui). A sack lunch is nice, but there is a plate lunch "window" where you can eat and two small stores.

Lots more that I could say - but just have a great time - it is beautiful!

Thanks for the replies regarding elevation on the road to Hana. I spoke with dive shop, and they clearly had no idea that there were no issues. We're doing Haleakala on Day 1 and then will drive towards Hana near the end of the week.

Valerie

Holy smokes... way to revitalize a dead thread.

I will say now: I cannot recommend Ed Robinson's Diving Adventures. PM me for details.

I'm surprised that the dive shop you contacted on Maui didn't have a pretty good idea on that activity... I guess it might be worth mentioning that even getting out of the water (i.e. going to an elevation of 5' above sea level) can cause a DCS hit... rare, but does happen. :)

Hey Valerie - Doing Haleakala the first day is a good idea, especially if you're planning on going up for sunrise (make jet-lag work for you) Haleakala goes up 10,023 ft, so definitely high elevation.

Aloha, Tim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom