Diving Nassau from Royal Caribbean cruise

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mike_s

Contributor
Reaction score
So we'll soon be on a Royal Caribbean cruise arriving in Nassau at "listed arrival time" 8am. Of course you don't know what time they will actually let you off the boat, but on past cruises we arrived about 6:30am and people were getting off the boat sometime after 7am.

It appears that Stuart Coves has a 7:45am pickup time for their shuttle. So doesn't seem like there is enough time to make/catch it based on the "official arrival time" of 8am.

anyone tried this?

or used other operators?

Nevermind.... just found out the damn boat doesn't get there until 11am and leaves that night. so diving would take up the entire day. jeez.

last time we did the cruise it got there at 8am and left at midnight. oh well. should have paid better attention.

If you book through the ship, they use Stuart Coves, but they work around the ship's itinerary. It will probably take all day, though.

If you book through the ship, they use Stuart Coves, but they work around the ship's itinerary. It will probably take all day, though.

yeah... you can book through the cruise line and they use Stuart Coves like you said and work around the ships itenerary.

but they charge an extra $50 bucks or so to book direct through the cruise line, for the "same dive op". oh well.

still curious if anyone has done their 7:45am meet-the-bus with Royal Caribbean, for future reference.... (although we own't be doing it as originaly though this time...)

yeah... you can book through the cruise line and they use Stuart Coves like you said and work around the ships itenerary.

but they charge an extra $50 bucks or so to book direct through the cruise line, for the "same dive op". oh well.

still curious if anyone has done their 7:45am meet-the-bus with Royal Caribbean, for future reference.... (although we own't be doing it as originaly though this time...)

Let's try to keep this accurate :)

The difference in price is $25 versus the on-island price (and $35 if you book on Stuart Cove's website).

Here's what you're getting when you book through the cruise line:
  1. Priority disembarkation from the ship
  2. Transportation to Stuart Cove's aligned with your ship's schedule
  3. A guarantee from RCCL the ship won't leave if THEIR vendor is late getting you back

When are you doing the cruise? I'll be on Majesty in Nassau on 7/5 :)

hmmm...... I think you're right. it's not as high to book direct as I initially thought it was....

Initially I read that Royal Caribbean price was $145. but that also includes rental equipment. looking again it also appears they have a lower price ($20 cheaper) w/o rental gear.

from RCI and SC websites....

Royal Caribbean price $145, includes equipment.
Royal Caribbean price $125, doesn't include equipment.

Stuart Coves, $89 - advance purchase (no equip included).
Sutart Coves, $105 - on island purchase (no equip included)

still $125 to $145 for a 2 tank inshore 4 hour trip isn't on the cheap side. Of course the cruise lines make more money off their shore excursions than they do their cruises (I've been told...)

will be there next week.

There are a lot of folks that either swear by or at them.

My experience with Stuart's Cove through RCCL was typical of a cattle boat operation. Wendy and Keith's place |

However, I have a co-worker that went over on a land trip, and had some wonderful dives with Stuart's Cove... when their group of 6 went out on their own boat. When they were grouped in on a larger boat, their experience was the same as ours.

Personally, I want to try their shark dive next time we end up in Nassau. That's got to be a blast. (It's a bit spendy, though)

Hope you have a great weekend on the Sovereign! We're hoping to get out on her one more time before she leaves Port Canaveral.

Wendy

dive pix
wendyandkeith's photos and albums on webshots

Here's what you're getting when you book through the cruise line:
  1. Priority disembarkation from the ship
  2. Transportation to Stuart Cove's aligned with your ship's schedule
  3. A guarantee from RCCL the ship won't leave if THEIR vendor is late getting you back
I don't think they actually guarantee the ship will wait for you, but they are very likely to do so.

I don't think they actually guarantee the ship will wait for you, but they are very likely to do so.

chances are, if you're on any ship organized excursion, then there are 5 to 30 other people from the ship on the same excursion that are in the same boat your in. (no pun intended).

That might have better influence on the ship waiting as opposed to independent folks who haven't registered back in yet.

Ok.... just a follow up for this thread for others.....

Just got back from the cruise where I talked to some other folks who did Stuart Coves through the crusie line excursion. (we elected not to because of the small amount of time on the island).

Anyway, according to them, initially they called Stuart Coves and tried to reserve it direct. When they got to "where do we pick you up", they asked what cruise boat they were on they said. When they told them the Royal Caribbean boat name, the Stuart Cove reservation person said, we can't pick you up there. We have a contract with Royal Caribbean and it won't let us pick up anyone from that boat. You have to book direct with them.

so... FYI to all... apparently there is a monopoly contract in place.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom