Diving Near Havana

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

joeabroad

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am looking at a very brief (3 or 4 day) visit to Havana. I would love to get in a couple of dives, as I've never been there before, but I don't expect to have time to travel much out of town. Can anyone give me a review of diving in the immediate Havana area, and maybe the name of a good dive operator or two?

I have done a couple of dives at Marina Tarara about 45 mins east of Havana but these were pretty average to say the least. There's also a dive shop at Marina Hemmingway but I haven't used this. The diving;s better at the Bay of Pigs (there are operators at Playa Larga and Playa Giron) but this would involve a longish day trip from Havana.

Being an American, I don't think you can tour Havana unless you are a member of the media. Correct me if I'm wrong.

You are wrong. Tons of Yanks I know visit Cuba - they don't get entry/exit stamps in their passports.

I know a couple of people who were snagged after going to Cuba from Mexico. They were heavily fined. They could have lost their equip, I hear. Yes, they are definitely cracking down on Cuba travel. The diving is not worth the risk. Cayman is right there!

Back
Top Bottom