Diving Near Singapore

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Are there any day trips for diving out of Singapore? I'll be there in July and will only have a day or so free. Thanks for any advise.

It depends on if you REALLY like to dive. The main dive site in Singapore is Pulau Hantu. The diving is low visibility (2-5meters), but there are things to see there.
If you really love to dive and want to take any opportunity to dive that you can, then go for it. If you only want to dive in high-visibility water then this is not the place for you.

If you have a weekend free, then it would be better for you to take a trip up to Tioman, Malaysia. This is not a day trip, but you can comfortably get in 6 dives in much better diving conditions by leaving Friday evening and returning Sunday evening. Operators organize trips that include driving 4 hours to the dock in Malaysia, then a ferry ride to Tioman Island. Personally I prefer to use the Black Manta liveaboard that runs out of Singapore on the weekends. It also leaves Fridays and returns Sundays, but you are on the boat right out of Singapore and don't have all of the driving. I'm not sure if this is an option for you with your time constraints.

Wisnu - I've never dove at UW World. Is it really worth doing? Also, I don't remember seeing Manta's the last time I was there - is that new?

My two cents worth: Dont bother diving in Singapore. On a good day, 2 metres viz.... on a bad day, your guess is as good as mine.... Go Tioman, you won't regret it. LOB is good but costlier than diving in Tioman...

Wisnu - I've never dove at UW World. Is it really worth doing? Also, I don't remember seeing Manta's the last time I was there - is that new?

I believe I saw manta when visited UW world few years ago - though not 100% sure, can be mixed-up with other aquarium in KL, Bangkok and Jakarta. Or, pls update us.
Same as you, never dove Sentosa UW world - but last year we did at the largest mall in Bangkok (very expensive - singapore is cheaper) - quite interesting and still my adrenaline pumped-up for close encounter with sand tigers.

Thanks for all the posts. Sounds like Tioman is the way to go. I don't dive in Hong Kong when there for the same low vis reasons. I think I arrive too late to catch a live aboard on Friday night, will look at other options for a two day trip. Thanks again.

Greg

Am planning to move to Singapore in October. Looks like diving will be a little more complicated than the 2 hour drive I currently have up to the Indian Ocean coast of the Emirates. Normally only get 5-10m viz but its sounds better than Singapore.

Back
Top Bottom