Getting to Bali from the East Coast of the US

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello — my wife and I are hoping to do our first dive trip to Indonesia in 2024, and are looking to focus on Bali in early Sept. (My wife doesn’t like liveaboards and also wants land-based sights to see when not diving.). At any rate, my question is, what would be the best way to fly to Bali from the East Coast (preferably the DC area)? Do a layover in Jakarta for a day? Layover in Singapore for a day? Fly straight through Dubai or Qatar? Do a different route for the return? Would appreciate any suggestions

Hello — my wife and I are hoping to do our first dive trip to Indonesia in 2024, and are looking to focus on Bali in early Sept. (My wife doesn’t like liveaboards and also wants land-based sights to see when not diving.). At any rate, my question is, what would be the best way to fly to Bali from the East Coast (preferably the DC area)? Do a layover in Jakarta for a day? Layover in Singapore for a day? Fly straight through Dubai or Qatar? Do a different route for the return? Would appreciate any suggestions.
Cathay Pacific. IAD to HKG to DPS. Book directly on CX website. Try multi city search if you want a stopover in Hong Kong (recommended). Novotel in Tung Chung is close to the airport and has easy access to MTR to get into downtown - nice hotel.

Yup if you time it right you can get some really good deals on Turkish Airlines. Also its really nice to split up the long haul flights and have a nice rest day in Istanbul. Flying back to back long haul flights is not ideal. I know some just want to rip the bandaid off and get the whole thing over with but I would much rather split up long haul flights. Same if you fly through Dubai. I always get my flights setup where I have a day or two in Dubai be for my next long haul flight.

You will really enjoy Istanbul, great city to just walk/roam around. Lots to do and see.
I just now booked my flights on Turkish Air, $1,100 from Washington to Bali with a 16 hour layover in Istanbul. Get into IST at 9:30 am, dont have to grt back to the airport until 11 pm, so full day to enjoy the city, plus the airline even has free tours. On the return flight it’s just a 3 hour layover. Perfect, thanks again for the suggestion.

I just now booked my flights on Turkish Air, $1,100 from Washington to Bali with a 16 hour layover in Istanbul. Get into IST at 9:30 am, dont have to grt back to the airport until 11 pm, so full day to enjoy the city, plus the airline even has free tours. On the return flight it’s just a 3 hour layover. Perfect, thanks again for the suggestion.
Nice one! Sounds like you got a great deal on flights. Plus having a long layover is really nice to split up the flight rather than have back to back long hauls. I just love walking around Istanbul. Head to Old Town see some of the tourist sights then walk across the bridge and head up Istiklal Street for some great people watching and food. Best way to spend a day/evening.

Oh yeah and if your Star Alliance gold don't forget to visit the Turkish Airlines lounge. The food in this lounge is epic!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom