Getting to Bali from the East Coast of the US

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nippurmagnum

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello — my wife and I are hoping to do our first dive trip to Indonesia in 2024, and are looking to focus on Bali in early Sept. (My wife doesn’t like liveaboards and also wants land-based sights to see when not diving.). At any rate, my question is, what would be the best way to fly to Bali from the East Coast (preferably the DC area)? Do a layover in Jakarta for a day? Layover in Singapore for a day? Fly straight through Dubai or Qatar? Do a different route for the return? Would appreciate any suggestions.

I left Key West to Charlotte, to LAX, to Narita, to Denpasar.

Return through Seoul.

The quickest way for you will be heading east to Qatar or Dubai. Heading west will most likely add one extra stop, and about 8 hours of air time.
Weather or not you choose to do a layover will depend on your comfort level with 2 long flights (13 hours followed by 9 hours). Dubai is a nice place for a layover if you enjoy a bit of luxury.

We used Qatar recently. Short layovers, although the long leg was 14 hours (from Dallas—we were on an AA codeshare).

The westbound routes all had terrible layovers, either west coast or Inchon, and cost more.

I've done this once or twice a year for fifteen years, but others' experience may vary... As far as total time, it usually does not matter much. I go with the airline with the best layovers and a decent price. Lately, that has been Qatar or American/ANA. The flights from NYC and Chicago to Tokoyo are actually the same or a little shorter than the NYC to Doha leg. The stops are the same: either one in Tokyo or one in Doha, then on to Jakarta...or in your case, Denpassar.

I also like a long layover in Asia or the Middle East as I find five or more hours in an airport hotel to be lifesaving. A few hours of real sleep and a hot shower make all the difference in the world. Tokyo has very basic sleeping rooms with showers for under $50 bucks. They are amazing. The Doha airport is super nice, but the transit hotel costs a fortune.

To summarize- 1. It doesn't matter if you go east or west, it is all brutal. Go with the price and times that suit you. 2. Airport hotels are worth every penny.

I just returned from Indonesia. We fly out of Pittsburgh.

It's shorter to head west, as you'll cross fewer lines of longitude going that way. But when I looked at airfares, it was considerably cheaper to go east. There is also the great circle route over the north pole.

Singapore Airlines is the way to go. I flew business class the entire way, the trip was quite pleasant. Great service, I slept well on the plane, and got a shower in the airline lounge at Zurich and Singapore.

We had to transfer to the Jakarta domestic terminal for a flight to the spice islands. It wasn't easy, dragging bags (stairs) and the signs directing you to the domestic terminal are confusing, sometimes easy to miss.

I understand there are direct flights to Bali from Singapore. The airport in Singapore is amazing. Take the train around the airport if you have time.

Whatever you do, avoid Charles de Gaul airport. Do not connect through Paris.

Hello — my wife and I are hoping to do our first dive trip to Indonesia in 2024, and are looking to focus on Bali in early Sept. (My wife doesn’t like liveaboards and also wants land-based sights to see when not diving.). At any rate, my question is, what would be the best way to fly to Bali from the East Coast (preferably the DC area)? Do a layover in Jakarta for a day? Layover in Singapore for a day? Fly straight through Dubai or Qatar? Do a different route for the return? Would appreciate any suggestions.

Do you have an airline alliance??

I travel alot so I always try and get the most out of my points and status as well. Currently United 1K and Delta Platinum Medallion so I usually try and find a Star Alliance or Sky Team route.

If you are flying out of WAS you can get to DPS with only 1 stop (actually really really nice) you can go around the Doha way or the other way through Inchon. Both are about the same travel time plus or minus a couple hours. So if I were you I would base it on what airline alliance you are collecting points with. Personally I like going through Inchon and I would actually split the flights up so that I had a full 24hr + layover in Korea. two back to back long haul flights is not very pleasant. Doing one flight then putzing around Seoul, eating lots of amazing food seeing some sight etc then flying the next day is a lot less tiring.

Actually my favorite way to get to DPS from the US is flying through Istanbul on Turkish Airlines. It is not the most direct route but set yourself up with a 1 day layover in istanbul with Turkish Airlines they have a deal where they give you a free hotel (nice hotel) and shuttle bus. Istanbul is such an interesting city to walk through, I just love it an the food is amazing!! Also Turkish Airlines give you a free additional checked back of scuba gear. Lots of times you can get some really good deals on business class seat with Turkish Airlines as well.

I can tell you that there are plenty of direct flight from tons and tons of airports around the world into DPS so there is no need to fly to CGK. Avoid Jakarta as much as you can.

Just got back from Bali. Flew through Taipei. I’m in Cleveland so I have to go through a hub. I’m also UA Gold, so I fly UA. Cle-sfo-tpe-dps. I’m retired and old so I like to spend a few days recovering from jet lag. I also like to fly through SIN. i always go west because it seems a bit shorter

Direct flights from the east coast via Singapore make this logistically easy. NYC-SIN-DPS. About 18 hours non-stop with a quick transfer. 22 hours total.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom