Diving off cruise ship?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did both those wrecks through Red Sail.

They were fun dives, but my goodness, there was a huge diver-to-guide ratio. Our single guide was responsible for almost 20 divers that day. And, of course, there was a huge disparity in experience there. For some of that time, I just stopped filming and sight-seeing to help divers with this and that. I was happy to do that, but they certainly put big numbers in the water. How was your experience with them, mac66?

When I did those dives with Red Sail, we had two DM’s on the boat and maybe 14 divers. They split us into two groups so each DM had around 7.

They were fun dives, but my goodness, there was a huge diver-to-guide ratio. Our single guide was responsible for almost 20 divers that day. And, of course, there was a huge disparity in experience there. For some of that time, I just stopped filming and sight-seeing to help divers with this and that. I was happy to do that, but they certainly put big numbers in the water. How was your experience with them, mac66?

My dive with Red Sail were just last Dec. Like Eric we had about 14 on the boat all off the same ship. We were divided between two DMs. Based on my observations I was probably one of the least experienced on the boat but didn't have any issues. I was surprised that the DM didn't give us more of a briefing. It was pretty much "gear up and get in the water". Never checked pressure or time with any (me) of the divers, no signals, nothing. They were fun dives however.

I've been to Barbados numerous time in the past 15 years, and have always taken a pass on diving there. Your video has changed my perspective on the quality of diving in Barbados, and I will take advantage of diving there next year. Thanks for the video report.

We dove with Red Sail last year (March of 2022). It was booked through the cruise line. Back then we weren't sure which places would require ship excursions only.

Our experience was similar to yours. We had 20 divers to one guide and was only allowed in the water for a max of 45 mins. For our second dive, it was with the discovery divers (another 20) so basically we had 40 divers in 20 feet of water for 45 mins doing whatever they wanted to do. They referred to that dive as the endless safety stop. LOL. It was probably a good place for Cruise excursion because we were with people that had not dove in several years or were still really new. Other than the guy who was super excited about his new go pro that he bailed on his dive buddy (who also was his wife on their honeymoon) and kept running into other divers. But I did see an octopus at the second dive site & that was really cool. We were in the water; so it was great. But I'm not in a hurry to sign up with them again.

Our winter cruise's last stop was in Grand Cayman. This was dive one:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom