Diving off Roatan.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How bad a "Beating" did AKR get? We have a group of 24 heading down there on Sat Nov 5th. Do you think it will be operational?

I'm getting a little nervous because if we need to make alternative plans our time and options are running out especially with this last hurricane ruining any of the lesser expensive destinations.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

jerry_h:
How bad a "Beating" did AKR get? We have a group of 24 heading down there on Sat Nov 5th. Do you think it will be operational?

I'm getting a little nervous because if we need to make alternative plans our time and options are running out especially with this last hurricane ruining any of the lesser expensive destinations.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Ummm, hi Jerry. Welcome to SCUBABoard.

You, ahhh, running this little trip? You know, trip leader?

Here's a secret thread you might get some use out of. It's for C.I.D. memebers only, but I unlocked it for you.

Here: http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=116227

or http://www.anthonyskey.com/

RoatanMan:
Ummm, hi Jerry. Welcome to SCUBABoard.

You, ahhh, running this little trip? You know, trip leader?

Here's a secret thread you might get some use out of. It's for C.I.D. memebers only, but I unlocked it for you.

Here: http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=116227

or http://www.anthonyskey.com/
You're so funny - I could use language not allowed on this board.

Jerry, I guess that's a Curmudgeon trick, to give a new member a link back to the same thread? You didn't say anything about being the group leader, tho? Don't know where that came from. Anyway, if you don't get what you need from the AKR site - which I suppose you've already checked anyway, we'll try to get you some info from some of our more cooperative members who have been there lately. I understand your concern, as AKR is on the north side with huts that look like they were not built to withstand harsh winds. Stick around this thread, and try our Search feature as well.

Just when you thought it was safe to go to Roatan and ...
... tropical storm beta!!!

Looks like its forming right on top of Honduras and moving slowly. We are a group of about 4 going on Sat for the week. This was the last minute reschedule for Cozumel this week, which was a reschedule for Cozumel in July thanks to huricane Emily.

If this does does get bad, then I am going to start thinking I am just not meant to dive :)

billtylerjr:
Just when you thought it was safe to go to Roatan and ...
... tropical storm beta!!!

Looks like its forming right on top of Honduras and moving slowly. We are a group of about 4 going on Sat for the week. This was the last minute reschedule for Cozumel this week, which was a reschedule for Cozumel in July thanks to huricane Emily.

If this does does get bad, then I am going to start thinking I am just not meant to dive :)
Tropical Storm #26 has not made named status yet - might be named Beta soon? Doesn't look like a big threat for the Bay Islands, unless she heads more north. Good luck.

Its good your checking in advance, as so many arrive in the Carrib only to be surprised at what they flew into. But then, Tropical Stroms, etc have been happening in the Carrib from July thru Oct since the Ice Ages I guess - no real surprise.

The Bay Islands are FINE!

DandyDon:
Jerry, I guess that's a Curmudgeon trick, to give a new member a link back to the same thread? It was easier than explaining how a "search" works. This question? Asked and answered, right here, in this thread.You didn't say anything about being the group leader, tho? Don't know where that came from. "We have a group" "we need to make alternative plans" Anyway, if you don't get what you need from the AKR site - On that hot link that was provided which I suppose you've already checked anyway, I guess not... It's here you would see

Oct.25, 2005 - Reservations offices in FL closed due to power outages
Due to the widespread power outages resulting from Hurricane Wilma, our Florida offices will be closed until further notice. We thank you for your understanding and hope to be operational again soon.

Oct.21, 2005 - Closed Oct.20-28 due to Hurricane Wilma
For the Safety of our guest, Anthony’s Key Resort has made immediate decision to temporarily close on October 20-28 2005. Due to Hurricane Wilma, the resort needs this time to evaluate the damages and fix the minor repairs on the property. We are forecasting to reopen on Saturday October 29, 2005. We deeply regret the inconvenience this may have caused you.

That's what you might read. Seems pretty cut and dried.

we'll (There's that pesky "we" again!)try to get you some info from some of our more cooperative members who have been there lately.

Don, have somebody read to you the AKR release. There hasn't been anyone there, SCUBA Board more cooperative member or just some old curmudgeon... not for the week. Read and learn.

I understand your concern, as AKR is on the north side with huts that look like they were not built to withstand harsh winds.

Julio Galindo built AKR to withstand (or give) with the tough weather that they can get. To denigrate them as huts is not only incorrect but jingoistic. AKR is in the top three of all AI resorts on the Bay Islands.

Stick around this thread, and try our Search feature as well.

Capital idea. Or just read this one page thread.

Jerry H....

Not only stick around this thread, use the search feature, but please understand what damage has an has not been caused.

There is so much idle chatter over the relatively minor impact that Wilma had on the Bay Islands that one twitchy local operator has felt compelled to answer any Wilma question from their perspective in the Bay Islands... as in... :D We're fine, :07: Everything's Okay, etc. :wink:

If you want to think about rescheduling a trip or moving a venue (if you are the trip leader), worry about that if your choice was in the path of Wilma.

Do not fret if you were not.

AKR is a world class resort. They have no need to deceive you and bring you to their resort before preparations and repairs are complete. Stay in touch with the stateside booking office and inquire there (thru your trip leader). If they are inviting you down to enjoy your booked stay, trust that the experience will be good. You will not be in a blown-down hut, no matter what :fork: told you.

When you book the Caribbean during Tropical Storm season, maybe that's why you get a discounted room rate? That's why groups come down during those periods. Hurricanes generally take the path that Wilma did, NW and lifting above the Bay Islands. Lots of rain drops on Roatan, and the North side and West End get smacked, but all in all, things go back to normal pretty quickly. Even the fabled storm Mitch 1998 was a minor inconvenience to Roatan. This is kind of the long term version of "checking in advance" of your arrival. Good advice, :fork:

At almost any other resort I would express concern about whether they could muster the manpower and resources to contend with what blows down from the North, but any time AKR gets re-aqrranged by the elements, it winds up looking better. They learn from their mistakes.

Go to Roatan, Utila, the Bay Islands. Plan your delayed trip to Coz and the affected resorts when they are ready to accept visitors. They will be needing your money, so give them your support by returning when they are glistening once again.

The answers to all your questions are here on SCUBA Board, and the Internet. Do a search, do a GOOGLE, most have already been answered and ground to dust. But remember- if the question has no answer... try to understand that!

Anything else is, at best- a waste of band width, or at worst- propogating a mistruth simply by restating it.

We have some experts :fork: here on that.

There you go Jerry - good information. Roatan man is an excellent source when he feels like it... :D

WE are leaving on a cruise (NCL Dream) to Roatan and Belize on Saturday 10/29. We are scheduled to dive with AKR on Tuesday 11/1. I will try to post a report when we get back 11/5.

Edited to include - Hopefully, Beta will also cooperate and be out of the way before we get there, without leaving behind any more damage.

DSDO

Aeolus:
Hopefully, Beta will also cooperate and be out of the way before we get there, without leaving behind any more damage.DSDO

Give a man a fish, he eats for a day-
Teach a man to fish, he will invent beer.

Here, this is how to fish: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/ See the storm predictions.

A little knowledge applied here may help. If such a storm re-enters the Caribbean by turning North and passing over the Northern coast of Honduras, pointing it as Roatan and the Bay Islands, I'll buy the beer for the rain-dance party. No Hurricane is likely.

The storm should track along the Equator deep into Central America.

This may well affect the path that a captain might take, not at all for safety, but for sunshine and a little less rain.

Unlike those who will be on shore in resorts, at least you will have a 2 a.m. ice cream buffet!

Thanks for the promise of reporting back.

Aeolus:
WE are leaving on a cruise (NCL Dream) to Roatan and Belize on Saturday 10/29. We are scheduled to dive with AKR on Tuesday 11/1. I will try to post a report when we get back 11/5.

Edited to include - Hopefully, Beta will also cooperate and be out of the way before we get there, without leaving behind any more damage.

DSDO
You ship may not visit the Bay Islands, as the general trend for now TD Beta is northward. But the ship probably has good stabilizers - to reduce the motion sickeness factor, so it might?

I posted earlier "Doesn't look like a big threat for the Bay Islands, unless she heads more north. " but since she is drifting that way, it would be wise to watch her closely. NOAA http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/index.shtml? is currently giving Roatan only a slight chance of a hit, but we all know how fickle these storms can be.

Back
Top Bottom