Diving off your own boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In addition to all the Coast Guard required and Diver recommended equipment listed above you definitely need a well thought out Ladder to get back on board.

It needs to be set up to be easy to use even with rough seas and a very tired diver. I've seen several injuries from ladders that flopped too much, didn't protrude into the water far enough, didn't have enough room for fins, etc. So, spend some time on this. You won't regret it.

We have a ladder, attached to the swim platform of the boat, but now, you got me scared! Thanks for the response.

Maybe we'll just stick to local dives for practice.

scubadevita:
We have a ladder, attached to the swim platform of the boat, but now, you got me scared! Thanks for the response.

Maybe we'll just stick to local dives for practice.

Gee, didn't mean to scare you. It is just that after diving off several boats I've come to appreciate good ladders and hate bad ones.

I've seen ladders flop a diver right onto the deck causing a back injury. I've seen ladders and swim platform combos that you couldn't navigate without being a rubber man. I've seen ladders that took way too much energy to climb, especially after a deep dive where you were tired and needed to keep exertion levels down. And I could go on.

But, I've also seen ladders that were wonderful. In a small boat the best I've seen was a combination of bow to stern line, swim platform and ladder. The crew took off my fins(and buoyancy if I wanted) while I hung on the line. Then unencumbered I hand over handed it to the ladder. The ladder stuck down in the water about 3 or 4 rungs so it was easy even in rough seas to grab it and climb it just like a step ladder at home. Once on the swim platform I just sat down and swiveled into the main deck and a waiting beverage.

So,

I also keep four lines with clips that I dangle in the water. After a dive, we clip off our gear, cameras, etc and climb up the ladder without the weight of scuba gear. Also, many dive shops sell large dive flags with a picture of a diver on them. The size helps you be seen from longer distances and the picture helps those without a clue.

On any boat I dive off I always look at how I would get someone back into it if they were injured or unconcious.

Some boats are a breeze while others are very tough and you almost need a crane to get someone in.

Also when you are looking at this issue make sure that anyone can do it as you may be the one getting lifted in.

Thanks all for your feedback. One interesting design flaw in the 1988 32 foot Trojan Sports Fisherman is that the ladder is directly in front of the generator exhaust. So good luck taking that deep breath before you heave ho' up the ladder.

I'm going to have to relocate the ladder to the port side.

Or turn off the generator (oh no! warm beer!). I was diving under a friends boat in our marina last summer, in an attempt to find his prescription glasses (6 inch viz, below the 3 foot mark, I didn't find em). He put his ladder down for me and I didn't have half my weight on it, when one side at the top let go. He was glad it let go there, as he's not a small man and does swim (not dive) off the boat while anchored out. He suddenly pictured himself in the water, with no way back aboard and a new ladder was added to the to do list.

My boat was brand new in 2000. For no particular reason other than to have towing insurance should I ever need it, I purchased the Tow Boat US package last summer for $125. This covers towing up to 25 miles offshore which covers all my needs. I had to use it twice last summer! Without the insurance, the cost would have been $300 per incident. COD for this service as well (they take CC's too). (Fortunately I soon realized my problem was very minor and fixable on the spot - vacuum pressure in my fuel tank - long story made short). DEFINITELY get some sort of vessel assist - if you use it once you will have twice your annual investment back. Remember these guys all have minimums. $300 was the minimum cost for each incident I described even though in each instance I was less than 1 mile from shore!

Ladder - my boat is small so a sturdy three step ladder works fine. We roll out of the BC and tie it to trail lines I keep on each side of the boat. Then we stand on the swim platform and hoist it up. This helps to minimize the potential for injury trying to walk on deck with full gear. If you use a gunwale ladder make sure you tie it to the boat! Once in rough seas my ladder almost fell off. Lesson learned....I always have it tied to the boat now.

--Matt

matt_unique:
My boat was brand new in 2000. ..... (Fortunately I soon realized my problem was very minor and fixable on the spot - vacuum pressure in my fuel tank - long story made short).
--Matt
That implies something wrong with the venting system on your fuel tank, and THAT is downright scary. If the gas ( I assume it's gas powered) tank can't vent and the temp rises much youcould find it forcing gas out via the fuel line/carb and even with running bilge blowers before starting, experience a very large BANG. I check all hoses, hose clamps, etc each spring before we launch. All though hulls below the water line and most other hoses, if the nipple has space, have 2 s/s hose clamps on them, not just one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom