Diving on South shore Kauai

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You might find Bubbles less likely to travel all the way up to the caverns so I would check with them if you have your heart set on the caverns. That'd be closer to 20min or more as opposed to the 5 minutes for the other boats. They have a signature turtle dive called Hale O Honu closer to their harbor. I'd say that Koloa is every bit as fantastic as the Caverns but for different reasons. Both have great turtle activity but from there they are simply very different sites. Personally I think it's very hard to beat a personalized tour at the landing with all the incredible life that is there. We are experiencing a extensive period of rain and runoff currently so I hope everything has recovered for you by the time you arrive. If you want to drop a pm as it gets closer so I can provide you with an honest report on conditions. I just had some friends have a terrible experience with one of the companies that led them to believe the diving would be good when EVERYONE else had cancelled knowing it was going to be terrible diving.
Anyway, If you want to save some time you can probably get two tanks in at Koloa at a reasonable pace and also save an hour or even two off your boat time.

Have a great day

Since we hadn't been to Kauai before, we wound up sight seeing, hiking etc, and I didn't dive. I did manage to get some dives in Oahu and it was a lot of fun!

The rains early in the month caused so much silt runoff that Koloa wasn't really ideal diving for the whole two weeks. Did both Sheraton Caverns and Hale O Honu with Bubbles Below. Sheraton has the more interesting topography, but Hale O Honu had more turtles. I saw as many as 10 at one time and one of my pictures has seven visible.

Overall, it wasn't the best diving I have had on Kauai due to the silt. Even when the waters were fairly clear, one fin touch on the bottoms and the silt was up and flying again.

You might find Bubbles less likely to travel all the way up to the caverns so I would check with them if you have your heart set on the caverns. That'd be closer to 20min or more as opposed to the 5 minutes for the other boats. They have a signature turtle dive called Hale O Honu closer to their harbor. I'd say that Koloa is every bit as fantastic as the Caverns but for different reasons. Both have great turtle activity but from there they are simply very different sites. Personally I think it's very hard to beat a personalized tour at the landing with all the incredible life that is there. We are experiencing a extensive period of rain and runoff currently so I hope everything has recovered for you by the time you arrive. If you want to drop a pm as it gets closer so I can provide you with an honest report on conditions. I just had some friends have a terrible experience with one of the companies that led them to believe the diving would be good when EVERYONE else had cancelled knowing it was going to be terrible diving.
Anyway, If you want to save some time you can probably get two tanks in at Koloa at a reasonable pace and also save an hour or even two off your boat time.

Have a great day

Hi Guys:

I'll be there in May and will be staying at the Prince Kuhio. Would you have any recommendation for beach dives? From the beach, I'll forgo my scuba gear and just freedive. Any special precautions? I lived in the South Pacific mean years ago and the island was very well protected by the surround barrier reef. In addition, most beaches were sheltered by a protective reef. Will I find such topography in Kauai or is fairly exposed?

Claude

Back
Top Bottom